Skip to main content Skip to footer
Campus tour

SARA: National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements

Distance Education (Out of State Residents)

Distance education includes 100% online programs, online programs that require limited on the ground activities and/or courses that will be delivered to students residing outside the state of Michigan.

The State Authorization Reciprocity (SARA)

The State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) is "an agreement among member states, districts and territories that establishes comparable national standards; interstate offering of postsecondary distance education courses and programs. It is intended to make it easier for students to take online courses offered by postsecondary institutions based in another state. SARA is overseen by a National Council and administered by four regional education compacts.” While being a SARA approved institution does not remove the need for state authorization for all online programs, since not all states are SARA members, being a SARA approved institution allows SVSU to deliver online programs to residents in any SARA member state without seeking additional authorization from that particular state. Participation in SARA is intended to allow students greater access to SVSU courses and programs offered in other states. Saginaw Valley State University is a SARA participating institution and is authorized under SARA to enroll students in online courses and field experiences such as: internships, field experiences or clinical practicums in the states and territories listed below.

SARA States and Territories

Membership in SARA now includes 49 states, the District of Columbia, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico. California has not joined SARA.

Professional Licensure Programs

Programs leading to professional licensure may be subject to additional state professional licensing requirements, which are not covered by SARA.  If you are considering an academic program that leads to a professional license in your state, it is highly recommended that you first seek guidance from the appropriate licensing agency in your home state before beginning the academic program located outside your state. It is the student's responsibility to contact the appropriate licensing board in their home state to confirm whether a SVSU program will meet the requirements for licensure in that state.

SVSU's Professional Licensure Disclosure

Professional Licensure Directory

Other Licensure and Accrediting Agencies

Complaint Process

Students taking classes online with Saginaw Valley State University should attempt to resolve any issues or concerns through the SVSU's Student Problem Resolution Procedures which contains a link to the general complaint form. If your issue or complaint is not reasonably resolved, you may file a complaint concerning Saginaw Valley State University with the appropriate state entity.


If you have additional questions about SVSU online programs and/or how this might impact residents from your state, please email us at


Office of the Registrar
Wickes 151
(989) 964-4085