Skip to main content Skip to footer
computer lab lecture


Transcripts are complete records of a student's academic information. This material includes credit hours, courses, grades, grade point averages and any degrees that have been earned at SVSU by the student. Transcripts can be attained in an official capacity at any time by a requesting past, current or graduated student. To learn more about transcripts and the process for attaining them, please review the following FAQs. 

Transcript Ordering Process

Requests for an official Saginaw Valley State University transcript are done online:

For more information, please view the Transcript Instructions (217KB)

The cost per transcript is:

  • $11.25 for a paper or hard copy.
  • $8.50 for an electronic transcript.

Yes, the National Student Clearinghouse now offers a tracking service for transcripts that are ordered through them. Please visit the Student Clearing House tracking page

*Students must provide their order number and their email address.


  1. Electronic transcripts are automated, which usually means that they are processed and sent to a designated email account in less than 15 minutes (or, during busy periods, up to 2 hours) and the service operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
    • Note: Students will be required to sign an electronic consent form during the process using their computer mouse. At this time, the signature feature does not work using a smartphone or a tablet. If students do not submit their signature online, they will receive an email notification and will be required to download the signature form before the transcript will be processed. Students must also be sure to check the acceptance box under their signature before submitting it. This will also delay the process of their transcript if a student doesn't complete this step. 
  2. Paper transcripts are processed and mailed out within three to five business days.

Students may order as many transcripts as they would like. 

* Each address must be submitted as a separate request.

Students can find their student identification (ID) number by signing into Student ID numbers may be found in their Academic Profile.

The National Student Clearinghouse is the nation's largest provider of transcript services. SVSU is in a partnership with the National Student Clearinghouse to provide official transcripts. Once students put in an order, they will be given a tracking number to follow the process of their transcript. 

An electronic transcript is considered official if it is coming from the National Student Clearinghouse email account. The receiver of the transcript will receive two emails: One email will consist of Transcript Instructions (217KB) on how to open the transcript and the other email will contain the password a student needs to open the PDF copy of the transcript.

The electronic transcript email will expire within 30 days of being sent. Once it is emailed out, the recipient should open the email and save it on their desktop, USB or another safe location. Once the email expires, students will have to order a new transcript if it was not saved or uploaded by the receiving party within that initial 30-day span. 

Official Transcript: An official transcript is prepared and sent by the issuing school (or clearinghouse on behalf of the school) directly to the receiving party (i.e. transfer university, employer, graduate school, etc.); or directly sent from one institutional registrar's office to another. An official transcript will also have the signature of the Registrar and the official seal of Saginaw Valley State University. An official transcript is a legal document. 

Unofficial Transcript: Documents that are not conveyed through the required standard transcript-ordering process. Also, once a student handles or controls a transcript document, it is unofficial. 

  • A printout from a student account.
  • An unofficial transcript that did not go to the receiving party (i.e. student receives an official transcript and passes it on to a transfer university or employer).
  • A copy of an official transcript.

Only current students have access to an unofficial transcript through mySVSU. 

As a matter of standard policy, we are not permitted to provide unofficial transcripts to students or alumni. Therefore, orders are only accepted for official transcripts. Please see the Transcript Order Form for more information.

However, current students may print an unofficial transcript through Self-Service, under "Academics" (graduation cap) and then by selecting "Unofficial Transcript." 

There could be a range of reasons why students or other designated recipients have not received a transcript. To help decipher the issue, students have the ability to track their transcripts. Please call the Registrar Office for more information at (989) 964-7014 or 4085. 

Quick Checks: 

  • Track the transcript through the Student Clearinghouse tracker
  • Financial holds have influence over recipients getting transcripts. If students have a financial obligation for any reason, including parking violations, their transcripts will not be released.
  • Check the transcript receipt. If the wrong home address or email address is listed, then it may have been entered incorrectly on the transcript form, as well. 


Reverse Transfer is the process by which transfer students enroll at a four-year institution and then transfer credits back to the community college they previously attended for the purpose of attaining an associate degree from that community college. Students who have attended multiple community colleges are not eligible for reverse transfer. In addition, students must have obtained residency status in their community college. 

A degree is not guaranteed. The community college must evaluate the student's coursework and determine if the degree requirements for an associate degree have been met. Any communications a student has regarding an associate degree can be addressed with their community college's registrar's office. 

SVSU students may indicate their interest in reverse transfer by completing the Reverse Transfer Agreement (MFA Required) , which will authorize the university to send their transcript to the applicable community college.

Disclaimer: SVSU is not responsible for how the community college evaluates an SVSU transcript. If students have a question on transferring credit, they must contact their community college's registrar's office. 

No, students do not have to pay for an SVSU official transcript as long as they fill out the Reverse Transfer Agreement (MFA Required) and return it to the Office of the Registrar. 


SVSU has reverse transfer agreements with these community colleges:

  • Alpena Community College
  • Delta College
  • Kirtland Community College
  • Kalamazoo Valley Community College
  • Mid-Michigan Community College
  • St. Clair County Community College
  • Lansing Community College

Disclaimer: SVSU is not responsible for how the community college evaluates the SVSU transcript. If a student has a question on transferring credit, they must contact their community college's registrar's office.

Transcript Key


Office of the Registrar
Wickes 151
(989) 964-4085