Skip to main content Skip to footer

Consumer Information

Federal regulation requires Saginaw Valley State University to provide consumer information to all of our current and prospective students.  Below is a summary of consumer information.  Each topic below gives a brief description of the information and explains how it can be obtained.  

If you need assistance or would like a paper copy of all or parts of the Consumer Information, please contact Campus Financial Services Center, (989) 964-4900, Wickes Hall 131A.

Information About SVSU

For estimated tuition, mandatory fees, books & supplies, room & board, and personal/miscellaneous expenses go to Cost of Attendance and select the appropriate academic year.  For actual tuition and fee charges, go to Tuition and Fees Schedule.  For actual room & board charges, go to Housing and Dining Rates.

For additional cost related information, contact Campus Financial Services Center, at (989) 964-4900, Wickes Hall 131-A.

The university has a Tuition and Fee Refund Policy that stipulates the amount of tuition and fees that are refunded to a student who withdraws from all classes during a semester.  Additional information can be found at Campus Financial Services Center Refund of Tuition and Fees or by contacting Campus Financial Services Center, (989) 964-4900, 131A Wickes Hall.

The Office of the Registrar provides procedures on course withdrawals and/or withdrawing from the university, for additional assistance contact the Office of the Registrar, (989) 964-4085, Wickes 151.

The federal government mandates that students who withdraw from all classes - either officially or unofficially (failing all courses) - may only keep the financial aid (federal grants and loans) that they have "earned" up to the time of withdrawal. Funds that were disbursed in excess of the earned amount must be returned by the university and/or the student to the federal government. 

To obtain more information, go to the terms and conditions of financial aid, select the appropriate award year and choose "Return of Title IV Funds: Official or Unofficial Total Withdrawal from Classes". 

If you are dropping any classes, withdrawing completely or have stopped attending, you are strongly encouraged to contact the Campus Financial Services Center at (989)964-4900, or 131-A Wickes Hall.

To obtain information on the university's academic programs, degree offerings, faculty and instructional personnel select the following links:

Upon selecting a major, click on visit department website to obtain faculty contact information.  A list of faculty contact information is also available in the SVSU Directory. If faculty contact information cannot be obtained via the methods noted above, contact the appropriate academic department or college.

View information on Instructional Facilities and Labs, or contact Information Technology Services at (989) 964-4225, Toll Free: (866) 827-4357, E-mail: .

For information on SVSU’s accreditations, contact the President’s Office at (989) 964-4041, Wickes 349.

For information on facilities and services for students with disabilities, contact Disability Services at (989) 964-7000, e-mail:, Curtiss Hall 112.

Undergraduate Admissions 


Phone: (989) 964-4200, Toll Free:  (800) 968-9500

Location:  178 Wickes Hall

Undergraduate Academic Program Listings


Graduate Admissions


Phone:  (989) 964-6096

Location:  160 Wickes Hall

Graduate Academic Program Listings

Students who are interested in Study Abroad Programs may be eligible to receive financial aid to cover their cost. Students must have submitted the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) if they want to be considered for federal funds.

Students who are requesting federal financial aid for the Spring/Summer semesters, must submit a Spring/Summer Federal Pell Grant and/or Student Loan form. Students who are interested in private loans to help meet their cost, can get information by going to the Campus Financial Services Center website or contact them at (989) 964-4900, Wickes Hall 131-A.

Students should meet with the Office of International Programs to get information about Study Abroad Programs.

Copyright infringement is the act of exercising, without permission or legal authority, one or more of the exclusive rights granted to the copyright owner under section 106 of the Copyright Act (Title 17 of the United States Code). These rights include the right to reproduce or distribute a copyrighted work. In the file-sharing context, downloading or uploading substantial parts of a copyrighted work without authority constitutes an infringement.

Penalties for copyright infringement include civil and criminal penalties. In general, anyone found liable for civil copyright infringement may be ordered to pay either actual damages or "statutory" damages affixed at not less than $750 and not more than $30,000 per work infringed. For "willful" infringement, a court may award up to $150,000 per work infringed. A court can, in its discretion, also assess costs and attorneys' fees. For details, see Title 17, United States Code, Sections 504, 505.

Willful copyright infringement can also result in criminal penalties, including imprisonment of up to five years and fines of up to $250,000 per offense.

For general information regarding Copyright, Penalties and Enforcement contact SVSU's Zahnow Library at (989) 964-4242 or (989) 964-4240.  SVSU has several policies regarding Copyright and Enforcement:

For additional information visit the

For information on the transfer credit policy, go to Academic Policies or contact the Office of the Registrar Transfer Equivalencies, at (989) 964-4085, Wickes 151.

See the Office of International Programs for any contractual agreements in regards to Study Abroad Programs, or contact at (989) 964-4488, Wickes 260. 

For articulation agreements, go to Undergraduate Transfer and click on the link, “Transferring Credit” or contact the Office of Admissions at (989) 964-4488, Wickes 178.

See the Campus Financial Services Center at (989) 964-4900 for information on consortium agreements. SVSU currently has a consortium agreement with Kirtland Community College and Delta College in regards to the nursing program.

Financial Assistance for Students

The following financial assistance information is available at Campus Financial Services Center at (989) 964-4900, Wickes 131-A:

Rights & Responsibilities

  1. Complete Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) yearly (if applicable).
  2. Federal, state and Institutional aid is available
  3. Meet application deadlines
  4. Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy.  Go to to review the policy.
  5. Have a valid Student Aid Report (SAR) on file (if applying for federal aid)
  6. If selected for Verification, has completed the verification process (if applicable)
  7. Resolve any conflicts regarding your Student Aid Report (SAR) (if applicable).
  8. Resolve any overpayments of federal funds (if applicable)
  9. You must not be in default on any federal educational loan or owe on a federal grant (if applying for federal aid)
  10. Admitted to a degree-seeking program

Scholarships and financial aid will be disbursed to student accounts beginning 10 days before each semester and throughout each semester.

Fall /Winter Refund Checks

  • Loan refund checks will begin to be disbursed during the first week of classes for fall and winter semesters.

 Spring/Summer Refund Checks

  • Loan refund checks will begin to be disbursed the first week of the spring session for students enrolled in the spring session only or both the spring and summer sessions. Students enrolled for the summer session only will not have their loans disbursed until after the summer session begins. 
  • Excess federal funds are refunded within two weeks of being transmitted to the student account. Check your account summary by term on (self-service→students→My financial account→account summary by term)to ensure your federal funds have transmitted. 
  • Excess scholarships, grants and all other aid are disbursed after the fall and winter refund period (the point in which you can no longer drop a class and receive a refund, which is typically four weeks into the semester.

For Spring/Summer, excess scholarships, grants and all other aid are disbursed after the summer refund period (the point in which you can no longer drop a class and receive a refund), which is typically two weeks into the semester.

  • Students who are interested in receiving their refunds through Direct Deposit should contact the Campus Financial Services Center (CFSC). Students who wish to cancel their direct deposit, must complete a form with Campus Financial Services Center.

Students will receive a refund or credit on their account if their financial aid exceeds their university charges. Students will have these funds refunded by check, unless the student makes an arrangement to have their funds deposited directly into their bank account (if applicable). If you are interested in direct deposit, please contact the Campus Financial Services Center for details. If your parents are borrowing through the PLUS Loan program, funds may be refunded to the parent (if it causes a credit on the student’s account), unless the parent makes other arrangements with Campus Financial Services Center. If there are two parents in which funds have to be reimbursed to, the university will refund the amount based on a percentage of the loan amount applied for.

If you have a credit that results from your loan disbursement, you should expect a refund. Credits on a student’s account will be refunded according to the University’s refund policy. You can monitor your account on (account summary by term)to see when Campus Financial Services Center (CFSC) has disbursed your refund to you via voucher or direct deposit to a bank account. Some conditions do apply. Contact the CFSC if you have questions.

Loans refund checks will begin to be disbursed in the first week of classes. Check to see your current account summary by term. If you have a credit that results from your loan disbursement, you should expect a refund.

If you are receiving loan funds and want to cancel a loan, please return refunded loan funds within 14 days of the refund (date on check).

  • Scholarships, grants and loans are applied to the student’s account to pay tuition, fees, housing, books (if requested) and other university charges (if applicable). These awards are applied to a specific semester and can only pay for charges for that semester (some exceptions may apply- see the Campus Financial Services Center).

 College Work-Study

  • Students who earn funds by way of the Work-Study program are paid bi-weekly through the university’s payroll system.

Scholarship Checks

  • Scholarship checks sent to SVSU will be directly applied to the student's account (one-half fall semester and one-half winter semester, unless requested by an authorized person). Scholarship checks are usually processed within 7 to 10 days. If this creates a credit on your account, your funds will be refunded to you by check or direct deposit.

Scholarship checks sent directly to the student, but is made out to the university, are to be given to the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid (OSFA) so it can be added to the student's awards. Scholarship checks sent directly to you and is made out to the student and the university please endorse the check and submit it to OSFA. Scholarship checks made payable to you only, must be reported to the OSFA so that awards can be added the financial aid package as required by law. 

  • Other awards such as college work-study, loans, grants, other scholarships may be reduced due to students over cost of attendance or over need. 

Additional Information on Disbursements

  • Saginaw Valley State University (SVSU) will credit financial aid funds to your account to pay tuition, fees and on-campus room and board (if applicable). Your electronic signature/signature on the Award letter authorizes SVSU to retain funds on account to cover other charges such as books, late fees, telephone charges, and fines. This authorization may be canceled or modified in writing by you (or your parent in the case of a parent PLUS loan) and submitted to the Campus Financial Services Center. A cancellation or modification is not retroactive. Disbursements may occur 10 days prior to the enrollment period or within 10 days after the initial award notification.

To obtain information in regards to terms of receiving a Direct Loan, please see the Terms and Conditions of Financial Aid at or contact the Campus Financial Services Center at (989) 964-4900, Wickes Hall 131-A. 

If you are borrowing loans to attend SVSU, think ahead to the time when you will begin repaying your loans. How much will your monthly payments be? When will they begin? How long will you be making them?  Review the following videos at  How to Manage Your Student Loans, Repayment and Responsible Borrowing.  Also, visit the U.S. Department of Education’s website in regards to repaying your loans at 

Below, you will find a sample of a loan repayment schedule:

Undergraduate Loan- Sample based on student borrowing $27,000:

Repayment Plan Type

Number of Months (Years)

Initial Monthly Payment

Total Payments



120 (10 Years)





For loan balances

more than $30,000

Graduated 120 (10 Years) $159



*Based on a 4.66% interest rate (your individual loan rate may vary, depending upon when it was disbursed)
** Estimated monthly repayment for first two years. The payment will generally increase every two years

 Graduate Loan- Sample based on student borrowing $40,000:

Repayment Plan Type

Number of Months (Years)

Initial Monthly Payment

Total Payments



120 (10 Years)





300 (25 Years)




Graduated 120 (10 Years) $271



*Based on a 7.21% interest rate (your individual loan rate may vary, depending upon when it was disbursed)
** Estimated monthly repayment for first two years. The payment will generally increase every two years

If you are a first time student borrower at SVSU, you will have to complete Entrance Loan Counseling before federal loan funds can be credited to your account or sent to you. You may complete this requirement on line at Student Loans.

You must have a Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID in order to complete loan counseling online. If you have forgotten your FSA ID or do not have one, go to Federal Student Aid to have your FSA ID sent to you.

If you have any questions about Entrance Loan Counseling, please contact the Campus Financial Services Center at (989) 964-4900, Wickes Hall 131-A

When you graduate, leave school or drop below half-time enrollment, you must complete Exit Loan Counseling at Student Loans, where the emphasis is on being informed about your repayment obligations and selecting a repayment plan. Once you log into the website with your FSA ID, you will want to select "Choose Counseling", and then choose "Exit Counseling".  SVSU will send an Exit Loan Counseling packet to students by mail.  Exit counseling provides important information you need to prepare to repay your federal Direct Loans.  Repayment of your Federal Direct Loans begins six months after you graduate, withdraw from classes or drop below half-time enrollment. 
If you have any questions about Exit Loan Counseling, please contact the Campus Financial Services Center at (989) 964-4900, Wickes Hall 131-A

To obtain information on the Terms and Conditions of Employment provided as aid, go to the Terms and Conditions of Financial aid and Work Study or contact the Campus Financial Services Center at (989) 964-4900, Wickes Hall 131-A.

For information regarding applying for Work-study positions and to obtain policies and procedures, go to the Career Services website or contact the office at (989) 964-4954, Wickes Hall 270. 

Alternative loans are credit-based, private student loans. With an alternative student loan, you may borrow up to the full cost of your education, less other aid. Alternative loans generally have higher interest rates and fewer repayment options than federal loans. Eligibility for alternative loans often depends on the student's credit score; therefore, a cosigner is usually required. Even if a cosigner is not required, the student can generally receive a more favorable rate with a cosigner. Generally, borrowers with better credit histories receive better loan terms. Saginaw Valley State University strongly urges students to first apply for federal grants and loans by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Lenders that offer Alternative/Private Student Loans vary in the interest rates and terms available. Be aware, that some lenders will require payment while you are enrolled in school. Other lenders will let you defer payment, but interest will accrue and be added to your balance. You will owe more than you borrowed once you leave school. You have the right to borrow from any lender.

You should compare alternative loan lenders to determine which lender best meets your needs. SVSU has no financial interest in a student’s choice of lender. SVSU will process ANY alternative loan for which a student has been approved and has financial need up to the cost of attendance minus all other financial aid received.

Federal regulations require that TEACH Grant recipients complete initial and subsequent counseling for each academic year that they receive the grant at  

Also, you will be required to complete the Exit TEACH Grant Counseling when you graduate or leave school or cease to be enrolled in your teacher preparation program at The counseling session provides information about the terms and conditions of a TEACH Grant service agreement, as well as the rights and responsibilities that apply if your TEACH Grant is converted to a loan.  

For additional information, please contact Campus Financial Services Center, 131A Wickes, (989) 964-4900.

Students who wish to receive their excess funds to purchase books and supplies on their own before the 7th day of classes, must contact the Campus Financial Services Center at (989) 964-4900, Wickes Hall 131-A or receive their funds in the normal refund process, which is done on a weekly basis. 

To obtain information in regards to having funds available at the SVSU bookstore, go to the Terms and Conditions of Financial Aid (Select appropriate Academic Year) or contact the Campus Financial Services Center.

Student Information

To obtain information on SVSU’s graduation rates, go to the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)College Navigator or contact the Campus Financial Services Center at (989) 964-4900, Wickes Hall 131-A.

For information in regards to completion or graduation rates for student-athletes, contact the SVSU Athletic Department at (989) 964-7300, Ryder Center.

The Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act (EADA) requires SVSU to disclose information regarding Athletic program participation rates and financial support data.  You can obtain this information by going to U.S. Department of Education, Office of Postsecondary Education Equity in Athletics Data Analysis or contacting the SVSU Athletic Department, at (989) 964-7300, Ryder Center.

To obtain procedures on how to file a student complaint, go to Student Problem Resolution Procedures or you can contact Student Affairs at (989) 964-4410, 114 Curtiss Hall. 

A cohort default rate (CDR) is the percentage of a school's borrowers who enter repayment on certain Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program or William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan (Direct Loan) Program loans during a particular federal fiscal year (FY), October 1 to September 30, and default or meet other specified conditions prior to the end of the second following fiscal year.   The U.S. Department of Education releases official cohort default rates once a year.
You may find the most recent information for SVSU here.  
SVSU will disclose the rate in the event the CDR rises above the national average.


Health and Safety Information

To obtain information on the use of alcohol and other drugs, go to Student Conduct Programs or contact them at (989) 964-2220, Curtis Hall 114.  You can also review the university’s Substance Abuse Policy and Regulations 4.3-1

To review the Campus Security & Fire Safety report for Saginaw Valley State University, go to SVSU University Police, at (989) 964-4141, South Campus Complex A.

Other Information

The Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008 requires the SVSU Bookstore to disclose textbook information.  For more information go to SVSU textbook or contact SVSU Bookstore, (989) 964-4277, Curtiss Hall 159.

University policy grants access by students to their education records under conditions which conform to the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 as amended. This policy is regulated by the appropriate federal guidelines.

Students can also assign access of academic and financial information to those they designate by assigning a PIN to those specific individuals.  Assigning PINs can be completed in mySVSU by navigating to Self Service (Cardinal Direct)→Students→Privacy Settings→ Personal Information Release.

To obtain the University’s Privacy Act policy in regards to accessing student records and FERPA, go to Office of the Register or contact the office at (989) 964-4085, Wickes Hall 151.

SVSU encourages all students to exercise their right to vote.  You may obtain Voter Registration forms at:

You may also access State of Michigan Voter Registration Information via their website.  The site includes instructions and the addresses of Michigan county clerks and selected city clerks.  You will also find details about how to request an absentee ballot if you are not able to be at your home voting location during an election.


Scholarships & Financial Aid
Wickes Hall 141
(989) 964-4900

Wickes Hall 131A
(989) 964-4900

Wickes Hall 151
(989) 964-4085