Skip to main content Skip to footer

College Work Study

College Work-Study provides part-time, on-campus employment for students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay for their education expenses.

College Work Study Information


Undergraduate and Graduate students with financial need.


  • Available to full or half-time students per semester
    • Half-time status - 6 undergraduate credits/5 graduate credits

How to Apply

To determine eligibility, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and express interest in work-study on the application.

Graduate Students must contact Campus Financial Services Center (CFSC) at (989) 964-4900 directly to express interest in work-study.  CFSC can review the FAFSA information and determine eligibility. 

Next Steps

Once a student has completed their FAFSA and it is processed through SVSU’s Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid, they will receive a financial aid Award Letter listing the type and amount of financial aid offered.  If eligible, their award letter will reflect Federal Work-Study.

Next, the student must apply and be hired for on-campus employment through SVSU’s Career Services.

For those who do not qualify for Federal Work-Study, they may still apply for on-campus regular student employment.  Go to the Cardinal Career Network for a listing of on-campus employment opportunities through Career Services.

View additional information regarding work-study from the U. S. Department of Education.

No, the work-study awards are not applied to tuition, fees or housing charges. A work-study award reflects that a student is eligible for a work-study position, but does not guarantee employment for a student.  The student must apply and be hired for a position through SVSU’s Career Services; at that time they may choose to use their employment funds to apply to educational expenses.  If a student does not plan to pursue on-campus employment, they may decline the work-study award, thus allowing other awards to be added, if applicable. 

For more information regarding applying for positions select On-Campus Student Employment.


Scholarships & Financial Aid
Wickes Hall 141
(989) 964-4900

Wickes Hall 131A
(989) 964-4900

Wickes Hall 151
(989) 964-4085