Skip to main content Skip to footer
SVSU logo on a blue tessellated background with

Second Bachelor's Degree

You are a second bachelor's degree student if you currently hold a baccalaureate or graduate degree and intend to earn another undergraduate degree at SVSU. Explore the links below to learn about applying as a second bachelor's degree student.

Admission Criteria
Academic Requirements
Financial Aid

Advance Placement (AP) Policy:

Saginaw Valley State University participates in the Advanced Placement Program of the College Entrance Examination Board and grants either advanced credit, advanced placement or both, to freshmen who have completed college-level studies while still in high school and have earned satisfactory scores on the Advanced Placement examinations.

Scores of "3", "4" or "5" on the following examinations assure the entering student of both advanced placement and credit: American History, Studio Art, Art History, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, Computer Science, English Composition and Literature, English Language and Composition, European History, Music, Physics B and Physics C. Credit and placement are granted for scores of "4" or "5" on Biology, French, German, Latin, Psychology and Spanish examinations.

To find out the direct equivalencies for the AP test you have taken, please click on the link below.  You can either search by Department Letter or Search by Keyword.  The (#) is the minimum score required to receive transfer credit equivalency.

To see how your AP credits can transfer into SVSU, click here.

International Baccalaureate (IB) Policy:

SVSU will grant transfer credit and/or waive requirements according to the following provisions:

  1. Credits: Only for HL (Higher Level) examinations, scores of "4" or higher. Only basic skills and general education credits will be awarded. Students may pursue individual course credits by petition through respective departments.
  2. Theory of Knowledge, grade of "C" or better: 3 credits, General Education Category 5 or 8.
  3. Extended Essay, grade of "C" or better: 3 credits, General Education Category 10.

Contact the Office of the Registrar at (989) 964-4085 or for information about the available credit and minimum required scores.

College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) Policy:

The CLEP testing program gives individuals the chance to earn college credit by examination in a variety of areas of study. Two types of tests are offered—general examinations and subject examinations. 

To see how your CLEP credits can transfer to SVSU, click here.

Dual Enrollment Policy:

Many students will take college courses while attending high school.  These courses can be considered for college credit if Saginaw Valley State University receives an official copy of the college transcript.  SVSU cannot give credit for college credit using your high school transcript. It is the student's responsibility to contact the college issuing the credit to have official transcripts sent to SVSU.  

To check how your courses transfer to SVSU or to find what courses fulfill an SVSU course, click here. Or you can schedule an appointment with an admissions office representative to receive an unofficial transcript evaluation.

Contact Us

(989) 964-4200(989) 964-4200
(989) 790-0180


7400 Bay Road
University Center, MI 48710


Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 8:00 am until 4:30 pm
Wednesday: 8:00 am until 6:00 pm