Qualifications to Apply:
- Minimum 3.50 cumulative high school GPA
- Minimum 1200 SAT or 26 ACT test score
- Be an incoming high school senior
- Interest in the nursing profession
*To be considered for the Nursing Freshman Direct Admission program, students must apply to the university as a pre-nursing major on or before Wednesday, February 14th 2024.
How does the direct admission program work?
- High school seniors who are admitted to SVSU with a declared pre-nursing major will be invited to be a part of a group of students who have demonstrated academic achievement.
- Based on a competitive admission process, a limited number of first semester freshman students are accepted into nursing through the Freshman Direct Admit process.
- If selected as a direct admit, students will begin professional nursing courses the semester after they complete their prerequisite courses at SVSU (no wait list). Students must maintain a cumulative college GPA of 3.3 or better and, specifically, obtain a 2.7 GPA or better in each anatomy and physiology course. They must also meet all other nursing program selection criteria. Direct admission students do not compete for a seat in the nursing program but they must submit an application to notify the department when they are ready to begin their professional nursing courses.
Highlights of the SVSU Nursing Program
- Clinical experiences start at the beginning of the program and are integrated into learning;
- Students work in small groups and present outcomes of their work;
- Faculty-led study abroad programs offer nursing students an opportunity to study global health;
- Faculty have clinical experience which is incorporated into classroom teaching;
- Faculty are involved in scholarship and research, often including students in their work;
- At every level, students are engaged in lab work that includes demonstrations, skill-testing and simulation;
- Located in a regional healthcare hub, SVSU works collaboratively with a wide range of community partners.
Who can I talk to more about this program?
What are my next steps to apply for this program?
- The Nursing Direct Admit deadline for the Fall 2024 class is Friday, March 1, 2024.
- Submit your application for admission, test score and high school transcripts to the SVSU Office of Admissions on or before Wednesday, February 14, 2024. No application fee!
- Select Nursing as your declared major of interest on your application for admission.
- Once admitted to SVSU with the above qualifications, you will receive an invitation to participate in the Nursing Freshman Direct Admit Program.