University Police Job Description
Develop and implement activities which ensure the safety of and provide protection and related services to the campus community including programs in law enforcement, community policing, health and safety, parking and traffic, crime prevention and in-service training.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Patrol campus grounds and perimeter on bike and/or in a patrol vehicle to insure a safe environment; including: traffic enforcement, emergency response, law enforcement, etc.
- Coordinate and provide for the delivery of emergency services to campus.
- Receive, investigate and complete reported complaints from the campus community, and other investigative services as requested.
- Coordinate criminal prosecutions with federal, state and/or local police agencies and with prosecutors' office(s) for criminal incidents occurring within the university community.
- Serve as liaison with other social service agencies.
- Develop, coordinate and implement crime prevention and community policing programs and projects.
- Provide leadership and training to new/temporary officers on campus.
- Assist in the coordination and patrol of special and sporting events as required.
- Assist in the administration of the department as required or requested.
- Provide interim emergency medical response as needed.
- Provide specific training to fellow officers in specialized job related areas.
Supervision is received from the Director of Public Safety.
May be responsible for the training and supervision of student employees, and occasional supervision of less senior officers in the absence of the Director.
- Bachelor degree from an accredited institution of higher education.
- Michigan Law Enforcement Officers Training Council Certification, or certifiable status.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to respond quickly to emergency situations which may not be familiar.
- Ability to work under pressure, occasionally for long periods of time.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including weekends and holidays.
- Ability to work with appropriate safety related gear including a bullet proof vest, firearms, handcuffs, etc.
- Basic knowledge of personal computers desired.
- Ability to physically and mentally perform the essential duties of the job, with or without accommodation.
Duties are performed under a variety of conditions ranging from being indoors and not exposed to adverse conditions to being outdoors in inclement weather subject to an array of hazards as may be found at a traffic accident or at the site of downed electrical wires.
Police / Parking Services
South Campus Complex A
FOR EMERGENCIES CONTACT 911