Skip to main content Skip to footer

Return to Policies

Outside Food Catering Policy 3.1-4


Business & Financial Management
Authorizing Body:
Vice President for Administration & Business Affairs – VP-ABA
Responsible Department:
Conference Center
Applies To:
{{ appliesTo }}
Adopted Date:
Revised Date:
Print Policy

The University will permit the use of outside caterers for campus events held in approved and designated sites/facilities. This policy applies only to University events paid for with University funds or events sponsored by registered student groups.

There are several issues to keep in mind when considering using an outside caterer. SVSU strives to maintain high quality standards consistent with the standards achieved with our on-campus catering services. The University is also concerned about its image in the community and the well-being of our stakeholders in regards to food safety.

Outside caterers and/or prepackaged food items are not permitted in the following facilities: Curtiss Hall, Arbury Fine Arts Center, Performing Arts Center, Groening Commons, Doan Center and Regional Education Center. Any exceptions to this policy must be approved by the Executive Vice President for Administration & Business Affairs.

Guidelines and procedures that must be followed:

  • Details and arrangements must be coordinated through The Conference Center at SVSU 30 days prior to the event date.
  • The outside caterer must secure a temporary license from the Saginaw County Department of Public Health. A copy of the application must be provided to The Conference Center at SVSU, along with a copy of the catering/restaurant license and proof of liability insurance prior to the event.
  • The outside caterer must meet Saginaw County Department of Public Health requirements, which include but are not limited to sanitation issues and temperature requirements (links to guidelines and checklist below).
  • The Conference Center at SVSU will work with the outside caterer to assure that SVSU's quality standards are being met.
  • The outside caterer will be responsible for clean-up and trash removal.
  • Departments and registered student groups making arrangements for outside caterers will be held responsible for any damages and additional expenses incurred by the negligence of the outside caterer, as well as any additional expenses for set-up and clean-up of facilities used.
  • Outside caterers must use only their own equipment to service the event. Under no circumstances will SVSU's kitchen facilities or catering equipment be available to a caterer.
  • If alcohol is to be served, it must be served in accordance with the SVSU Operations Manual Policy Special Events Alcohol Guidelines 3.1-3

To reduce the chance of food-borne illness, the requesting department or student group must follow the guidelines below.

  • Items must be purchased from a reputable licensed food service provider only.
  • Food service must be supervised by an employee of the outside caterer.
  • Food must be consumed and/or removed within two hours after being delivered.
  • The area where food is consumed must be thoroughly cleaned after the function is completed.

Foods exempt from a temporary food license (in approved facilities only):

  • Pre-packaged foods (e.g., chips, snacks, freezer pops, candy bars, etc.)
  • Cans/bottles of soda or water

A temporary license is not required for items such as pizza and sub sandwiches as long as:

  • A staff member from a licensed establishment attends and serves the food.
  • It is a closed meeting not accessible to the general public and the campus community.
  • Items are served and consumed within two hours of delivery.

Additional Resources