Skip to main content Skip to footer


Concerned Parents


College can be an exciting and adventurous time for students, however, with the change of new environments, making new friends and discovering things about yourself that you never knew can be stressful.  Change is the only thing that is constant, however, it is also the thing nobody ever talks about.  It is normal for students to feel many emotions during college and adjusting to college life may create anxiety, depression or stress.  Parents and families may look to the Mental Health and Wellness Center staff to assist their students with difficulties.   

Our goal is to provide you with information and support that might assist you in helping your SVSU student who may need mental health services or support.  

The Campus Mental Health and Wellness Center offers a variety of mental health care services to SVSU students, including counseling, groups and referral services.  Our services are confidential and free. We are located at 112 Curtiss Hall.   

Our Staff 

Our staff are licensed and experienced mental health professionals. In addition, clients may be seen by a graduate student from the departments of social work while supervised by professional staff.  


Students of SVSU enrolled half-time or more eligible for services at Mental Health and Campus Wellness Center.  Therapy services are free of charge, however, if your student is seeking medication, we do not have those services at our office and would refer them off campus as they are beyond our scope of services.  Our services include:  

  • short-term individual counseling 
  • group counseling and workshops
  • alcohol/substance education 
  • crisis response and support services  

If you feel your student needs more than short-term counseling services, our staff will help refer them to a mental health provider in the surrounding area. You may also use our online resource guide to locate a community provider who may better suit your student's needs. 

If You are Concerned!


For most students, going to college is their first time living away from home.  This experience is exciting, maturing and hopefully educational and fun.  It is also a big step and almost inevitably this will bring up anxiety for them.  But it is important to recognize that students going off to college are not the only ones who might be anxious. 

Here are some things parents can consider when they are concerned about their child:   

Keep In Touch

In this age of texting, Facebook and Instagram, sometimes it can feel like we are constantly connected to everyone we know. But it is helpful to speak to your child from time to time. You can often discern things from a conversation (tone of voice, emotional feel and the like) that don’t always come through in a text message or email.

If You Are Concerned -- Ask

Sometimes parents are afraid to intrude on their child’s privacy.  This is certainly a commendable and sensible approach in general.  But, if something is concerning you, mention it using specific details and examples. “You sounded really tired yesterday.  Are you getting enough sleep?”  Most young people are reassured by their parents taking a concerned interest in their well-being (as long as you don’t overdo it). 

Trust Your Gut

You know your child better than anyone else.  If you feel something is not right, take this seriously and reach out to them. 

Look and Listen for Changes

Again, you know your child best.  An emotional health issue is best noticed through changes in functioning. Poor sleep or appetite, a change in self-care (not showering, dressing in markedly different ways), changes in speech (faster, slower, change in quality) or behavior may suggest a problem emerging. If you are noticing things like these, you should ask your child about it. 

Use Campus Support Services

If after speaking to your child you are still feeling uneasy, you can speak to professionals on campus.  Remember that while colleges cannot necessarily share information with you about your child (they can in a medical emergency) they can always listen to a concerned family member and should work with you to find a way to check in with your child and get back to you with some information.  You can call the MH&WC office, the students Resident Assistant or Resident Director or Dean of Students.  If there is a problem, they should help work with you and your child to establish a plan. 

Report Emergencies Immediately

If your child is talking about violence or self-harm or sounds markedly different from usual (disorganized or incoherent speech), it is important to contact the Campus Mental Health & Wellness Center, University Police or have them assessed at the nearest hospital emergency room right away.

How Much is Too Much?

If you find yourself constantly worried about your child and have had several discussions with them and with campus professionals and they are reassuring you that everything is ok, maybe you are having some trouble separating. Speak to a trusted friend or mental health professional to help you sort out whether your child is having a problem or whether you are struggling with the separation. It can be helpful to get a “second opinion” sometimes. 

Scheduling an Appointment
Privacy & Confidentiality
Crisis Services


Campus Mental Health and Wellness Center
Curtiss Hall 112
(989) 964-7078