Immigration Advising for International Students
Important Advice for F-1 Students
Keep track of your official documents
- Make sure you travel with your most recent I-20 but keep all of your old I-20s in your long-term records.
- Make sure your passport and F-1 visa are valid. If your F-1 visa expires, you are allowed to remain in the U.S. as long as you are maintaining your F-1 status, but you need a valid visa to re-enter the U.S. if you leave.
Maintain a full course of study throughout the fall and winter semesters
- A “full course of study” equates to
- 12 credits per semester for undergraduate students
- 9 credits per semester for graduate students
- Any levels below this require prior approval from an OIP advisor. Only one online class can count toward the full course of study.
Do not engage in unauthorized employment
- F-1 students may work on-campus part-time during the fall and winter semesters and full-time during the annual vacation period (spring and summer).
- F-1 students may only work off-campus if the work is authorized as curricular practical training (CPT) or optional practical training (OPT). Speak with an OIP advisor to learn more about these forms of practical training.
Notify the OIP when you change your address within ten days of moving
Keep track of the Program End Date on your I-20 and request an extension before that day comes.
Principal Designated School Official
Designated School Official