International J-1 Exchange Student Requirements
J-1 Exchange Visitors
J-1 exchange visitors are students from around the world who come to SVSU as part of an exchange program for a semester or two. These students are not seeking SVSU degrees.
To join SVSU as a J-1 exchange visitor, students must first consult with the International Office at their home institution. For most exchange programs, the home institution has a separate application and nomination process. Once exchange students have been approved and nominated by the home institution, they must submit the SVSU International Partnerships application.
- Once the application is reviewed, the Decision Letter can be viewed from within the application portal.
- If you are admitted, the non-refundable $150 orientation fee must be paid before the DS-2019 is issued.
- It typically takes 1-2 weeks for the DS-2019 to be created and delivered by mail to the student’s address.
- Once the DS-2019 is received, the SEVIS fee of $220 must be paid to the U.S. government. Students should print out the receipt of payment to bring to the visa interview.
- Next, students should visit the U.S. Department of State website to submit the nonimmigrant visa application (DS-160).
- Finally, the student can schedule the visa interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate. For assistance with this process, we recommend that students contact the U.S. embassy directly.