If you are interested in applying for the scholarships listed below (with the exception of the marching band and pep band scholarship) please visit the following link to apply for scholarship consideration: http://svsu.edu/apply/scholarships/.
- Then click on “Apply,” and fill out the General Application.
- When it asks “What is your major?” pick either "ABS-Music" or "COE-Music Education" as appropriate.
- If you pick "ABS-Music" and you know what minor you want to choose, pick it. If not, pick “Undecided.”
- If you pick "COE-Music Education" as your major, then pick “I don’t have a minor” for the minor as that degree does not require a minor.
- When you have completed the General Application, click “Finish and Continue.”
- On the next page scroll down to “Recommended Opportunities.” Click on that, and it will take you to the other required information to apply for the various music scholarships, in particular for incoming freshmen, the Rhea Miller Scholarships. Please note that the deadline for all music scholarships except the Rhea Miller is March 27th. The Rhea Miller deadline is later in the summer, in case we have late applicants to the program. Incoming freshman should apply for the Rhea Miller Scholarship.
For reference the following scores have been set as it relates to admission to SVSU and merit scholarship levels:
- 2.8 HS GPA & 940 SAT OR 18 ACT – Minimum standard for full admission to SVSU
- 3.0 HS GPA & 1100 SAT OR 22 ACT – Cardinal Scholarship ($2000/year renewed for 4 years w/ full-time status and 3.0 SVSU GPA)
- 3.0 HS GPA & 1160 SAT OR 24 ACT – Dean’s Scholarship ($3000/year renewed for 4 years w/ full-time status and 3.0 SVSU GPA)
- 3.6 HS GPA & 1240 SAT or 26 ACT – Founder’s Scholarship ($4000/year renewed for 4 years w/ full-time status and 3.0 SVSU GPA)
- Top 5% of incoming class – President’s Scholarship (Full tuition/year renewed for 4 years with full-time status and 3.0 SVSU GPA)
All of the following scholarships are awarded in addition to any merit-based scholarships that students have received.
- The Distinctive Program in Music Scholarships are awarded to students who, due to their exceptional music performing ability and outstanding course work in music or music education, will bring distinction to the department. Students selected to receive this award will also become part of the Music Ambassadors to the Schools program. This scholarship is awarded for one academic year, and is renewable based on the recommendation of the faculty.
- The Rhea Miller Scholarships in Music are awarded based on an audition, interview, and musicianship tests. The scholarship ranges from $2,000 to $4,000 and is awarded for one academic year and may be renewed upon recommendation of the faculty for up to 4 years total for a BA in Music student or 5 years total for a BA in Music Education student.
- The Patsy Hill Schwartz Scholarship is given to a student who has shown leadership in the Department of Music or has demonstrated high academic achievement in music.
- The Barbara Mitchell Endowed Scholarship in Vocal Music is open to music and music education students. Students must have a GPA of 2.5.
- The Marching Band and Pep Band Scholarships are available to all SVSU students and have an approximate value of approximately $350. A limited number of Pep Band Scholarships are available and have a value of $200.
- The James and Rosemary Hill Scholarship is open to music and music education students. The scholarship amount is approximately $500 and is awarded for one academic year. The student must have an overall GPA of 2.75 and 3.0 GPA in music courses. This scholarship is based on financial need.
- The Jerry and Terry Drake Endowed Scholarship is given to a full or part-time new or returning student who is a resident of Bay, Midland, or Saginaw counties and majoring in art or music with scholastic achievement and potential.
- The Mary H. Anderson Endowed Chamber Music Scholarship is given to a student that has been selected for a chamber ensemble through an application and audition process. Students must maintain at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA, be enrolled in applied lessons at SVSU for at least one term, be enrolled in a major ensemble, and perform all assigned duties and performances for the chamber music group with which they are assigned.
- The Spatz Endowment for the Performaing Arts Scholarship is given to a student that is an incoming freshman music or music education major, has a 3.0 cumulative GPA, and enrolls in a major ensemble during the award period.
Appointments can be made by either calling or emailing our office: