Skip to main content Skip to footer

On Campus Student Employment Student Information

Whether you were just recently hired as a student employee or looking for resources on applying to on campus jobs, this page will help you navigate your next steps.

Newly Hired Student Workers


Review Student Employee Handbook

To ensure you know all the do's and dont's of working on campus;

23-24 Student Employment Handbook (1,627KB)


Complete all New Hire Paperwork

All New Hire Paperwork must be filled out prior to a student's first day of on-campus employment.

View & Complete New Hire Paperwork


Visit Human Resources

Schedule an appointment with Human Resources to bring in your original documents for your I-9. Please refer to the below “List of Acceptable Documents” link.

Schedule an appointment today

List of Acceptable Documents


Set up Direct Deposit

Set up your direct deposit for payroll using MySVSU Self Service

Find On Campus Jobs

On Campus, jobs for the 2023-2024 school year will be posted on July 17, 2023 on Handshake

Dining Services students serving lunch at Panda Express

We average 850 students who work on our campus every semester (fall and winter). Job postings come to our office from the department supervisors at any given time, so make sure to check these opportunities on Handshake frequently. The highest traffic of students applying for on-campus jobs is during the months of July-October, with each job posting averaging 50 applicants or more. Once November approaches, job postings average less than 10 applicants.

This is a list of all departments that regularly hire students to work on campus.

  • Academic/Deans' Offices 
  • Administrative Offices
  • Campus Facilities
  • Dining Services
  • Grounds Operations
  • Housing Operations
  • Information Technology Services
  • Library
  • Mailroom
  • Marshall M. Fredericks Museum
  • Ryder Center
  • The Conference Center
  • University Police/Parking Services

Before you apply for any job, be sure you are prepared with your;

  • Resume showing your previous related work or volunteer experience
  • Customized Cover Letter
  • Updated Handshake profile to make your application a breeze!

The Career Services Resource Hub will provide you with templates and tips to get your started!

Want help with your resume, cover letter or searching for on campus jobs?
Make an appointment today to talk with a career services adviser!

Student Employment FAQ

Federal College Work-Study is a federal student employment program for students that have financial needs. Under this program, the federal government pays the majority of student wages and SVSU pays the remaining. Students are required to apply for financial assistance on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), which can be obtained from the Office of Scholarships & Financial Aid or completed on-line at Based on the student's financial need as ascertained by the FAFSA information, and availability of funds, students may be awarded work-study.

Being awarded work study DOES NOT guarantee a position.

Regular Student Employment is funded entirely from the SVSU general fund. All students are eligible to earn RSE funding. Departments may choose to continue employing a student using RSE funds once they have earned their total work-study award and if the department has RSE funding available in their budget. The supervisor must advise the student to consult with the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid before switching them to RSE, because earning RSE dollars may reduce the student's financial aid package the next year. If both the supervisor and student agree to switch to RSE, the supervisor must notify the Career Services office to change the student's award.

General requirements of on-campus student employment

  1. Fall and Winter employment: Undergraduate students must be enrolled in at least six (6) credit hours, and Graduate students must be enrolled in five (5) credit hours during both fall and winter semesters.

    Spring and Summer employment:  undergraduate students must be either enrolled in six (6) credit hours OR be registered for at least six (6) credit hours for the upcoming fall semester. Graduate students must be enrolled in five (5) credit hours OR be registered for at least five (5) credit hours for the upcoming fall semester. undergraduate
  2. Student employees must be current students at SVSU; incoming freshman and transfer students are not permitted to work until their first semester of classes.
  3. Guest students do not qualify for employment.
  4. Student employees must have a valid social security number.

International students (F1 non-immigrant student visa holders) may work part-time (20 hours per week/maximum) on campus during the fall and winter semesters and full-time (40 hours per week / maximum) during the spring and summer semesters.

Fall and Winter eligibility: Undergraduate students must be enrolled for twelve (12) credit hours and graduate students must be enrolled in nine (9) credit hours (graduate) for both fall and winter semesters.

Spring and Summer eligibility: requires students to be registered for at least six (6) credit hours total during the spring and summer semesters.

Students who obtain on-campus student employment MUST fill out required new hire paperwork prior to beginning your on-campus job.

Please bring in your original documents to the appointment. Refer to page 3 of the I-9 for acceptable documents

List of Acceptable Documents (275KB)


Call Us

Stop By
Wickes Hall 270

Email Us