Skip to main content Skip to footer

Return to Policies

Tuition and Fee Refund Policy 6.2-3


Student Affairs
Authorizing Body:
Vice President for Administration & Business Affairs – VP-ABA
Responsible Department:
Controller's Office
Applies To:
{{ appliesTo }}
Adopted Date:
Revised Date:
Print Policy

Students who make schedule adjustments resulting in a credit hour load reduction or complete withdrawal from the University may be eligible to receive a refund of tuition and fees. Refunds for the fall and winter semesters will be computed as follows:

Class WeekRefund Percentages
End of 1st. Week 100%
End of 2nd. Week 75%
End of 3rd. Week 50%
End of 4th. Week 25%

Refunds for the spring/summer semester will be calculated at 100% for courses dropped by the end of the first week and 50% for courses dropped by the end of the second week. Refunds for shorter term periods will be calculated proportionally in accordance with the fall and winter semesters schedule indicated above.

Students receiving University administered scholarships and financial aid may be subject to special federal or other awarding agency refund requirements. Financial Aid recipients attending SVSU for the first time who receive assistance from Title IV federal programs may be eligible for a pro rata refund if they totally withdraw from school. Withdrawing students should contact the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid for further information.

Withdrawal and drop procedures are published in each semester's Course Schedule. Official dates pertaining to this process and office hours for the Registrar's Office are also listed in the Course Schedule. Students must file a withdrawal or drop form in the Registrar's Office to be eligible for refunds. The date used to determine refunds is the date on which the form is returned with all necessary signatures to the Registrar's Office.

A separate refund policy exists which applies to the death of a student.

The University will provide, upon request, examples of the application of this policy. Such requests should be made in person or in writing to Campus Financial Services Center.