Skip to main content Skip to footer

Reservist or National Guard

Military Tuition Assistance

The Tuition Assistance (TA) program pays the cost of tuition and some additional fees. Nearly all active duty military service members are eligible for TA. However, each service branch determines eligibility criteria that often reduce access. Tuition Assistance covers up to 100% Tuition and Fees, not to exceed $250.00 per semester credit hour or $4500.00 per fiscal year. All Active Duty Service Members (including Guard and Reserve) must contact their Education Service Officer (ESO) or Education Counselor within your branch of service prior to enrolling in any college or university.


Tuition Assistance Application Procedures for Military Services:


Marine Corps


Air Force:

Coast Guard

Michigan National Guard:


SVSU Policy for Return of Department of Defense Unearned Tuition Assistance (TA) Funds: 

If a student receives Tuition Assistance Funds and withdraws from any class before 60% of the semester is complete, the Department of Defense requires SVSU to calculate the amount of tuition funds a student did not "earn" and return these funds to the Department of Defense.  This may cause a student to owe a balance.

The amount of funds that is "unearned" and to be returned to the Department of Defense is determined by a calculation. The calculation will be done within 30 days of the determination of the withdrawal, and SVSU will return the "unearned" funds to the Department of Defense within 45 days. Any unearned funds will be returned to the Department of Defense. When the school returns the tuition funds, this may create a deficit on the student's account at SVSU. If the student does not have any credit balance on his/her account, this will become a balance owing to SVSU. Any balance owing will prohibit a student from registering for future semesters and from requesting copies of transcripts. SVSU will notify a student whether he/she owes money back to SVSU. Once a student has attended at least 60% of the period for which TA funds were approved, the student is considered to have earned 100% of the TA funds.

The calculation is performed as follows:                                  

7.5 - Week Course if course withdrawal, then refunds are issued as below:

Before or during week 1

100% return

During week 2 

75% return

During weeks 3-4.5

50% return (60% of course is completed)

During week 4.5-7.5

No return

15 - Week Course if withdrawal, then refunds are issued as below:

Before or during week 1

100% return

During week 2

75% return

During weeks 3 – 4

50% return

During weeks 5 – 9

25% return (60% of course is completed)

During weeks 10 - 15

No return

Official Withdrawal

Students are strongly encouraged to contact the Campus Financial Services Center prior to dropping or withdrawing from any classes. The Campus Financial Services Center staff can help clarify any questions about withdrawing from courses.

The requirements for returning unearned Tuition Assistant Program Funds when a student withdraws are separate from any refund policy that SVSU may have. Therefore, you may still owe funds to SVSU to cover unpaid institutional charges.  If you don’t already know SVSU's refund policy, please contact Campus Financial Services Center (CFSC) at, W 131-A, or (989) 964-4900.

Students must notify the Office of the Registrar if they are withdrawing from any course. Students must follow the withdrawal procedures posted on the Registrar's Office's Website.

For reservists in the other services or Air National Guard members, visit’s TA Overview to see how to apply for TA benefits.

State of Michigan Tuition Assistance for National Guard Soldiers

MGIB-SR versus Post 9-11 GI Bill®

As a drilling or former reservist, you can also apply for Veterans Affairs (VA) educational benefits in the form of either the Montgomery GI Bill® – Selected Reserve (SR) (Chapter 1606) or Post 9-11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33). If you have a VA-compensated disability rating, you may be eligible under Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Chapter 31).

Because the Post 9-11 GI Bill® benefits are pro-rated based on your active federal service, as the number of months you have served under Title X orders increases, so does your benefit percentage. If you have completed at least one deployment you may want to compare the options to see which entitlement program works best for you. Be advised that when you leave drilling status your eligibility for Chapter 1606 stops until you apply for Post 9-11 status. 

The different options can be confusing. For more detailed information and how to compare benefit plans, check out

Students Recalled to Active Duty

Worried about what happens if you get activated? Don't be. A veteran or reservist, who receives orders to report for duty while attending a specific term, will be eligible for a full refund. Students should visit the Military Student Affairs Office to complete the appropriate paperwork to withdraw from courses and to notify the VA. A copy of the student’s orders must be provided. If the student is using VA benefits, VA Form 21-4138 , Statement of Support of Claim, should also be completed.

Eligibility for VA education benefits will be held in abeyance until the veteran’s return to school. In other words, the remaining months of entitlement will be available to the guard/reservist when he or she re-enrolls as a student.

Contact Us
(989) 964-2462(989) 964-2462
(989) 964-6095


Curtiss 121


Office M-F 8:00AM-4:30PM or by appt.