Skip to main content Skip to footer

Family & Dependent Benefit Information

Post 9-11 GI Bill® Transfer of Entitlement (DoD)

As of August 2009, the option exists for career service members to transfer some or all of their Post 9-11 GI Bill® benefits to their dependents. Before a dependent can apply for these benefits, the service member must apply with the Department of Defense for a Transfer of Entitlement. You can complete the application online with the DOD.

After you have submitted your request to transfer benefits you will need to track the status of your request by returning to the Transfer of Entitlement web site. After the status of your request is changed to ‘approved’ the TEB site will automatically transfer the data to the VA. At this point, the family member submits a VA Form 22-1990e to the VA to obtain a certificate of eligibility. This can be done online or you can call the GI Bill® Hotline.

Toll-Free (888) 442-4551

SVSU's VA Certifying Official (Curtiss 121) will need a copy of the certificate. If you have not received your certificate and school is about to start, go ahead and ask the VA Certifying Official to submit the enrollment certification to the VA. Tuition funds will be sent directly from the VA to the school. Children using transferred benefits will receive the monthly living stipend (BAH) and the book allowance. Spouses using transferred benefits will only receive the monthly living stipend and the book allowance if the service member is no longer on active duty.


In-State Tuition

Regardless of where you are from, all military-affiliated students receive in-state tuition.


Dependents’ Education Assistance (DEA)

The DEA program (Chapter 35) provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents and survivors of certain veterans. To be eligible for these benefits you must be the son, daughter, or spouse of: 

A veteran who died or is permanently and totally disabled as the result of a service-connected disability. The disability must arise out of active service in the Armed Forces.

A veteran who died from any cause while such service-connected disability was in existence. A service member forcibly detained or interned in line of duty by a foreign government or power. A service member who is hospitalized or receiving outpatient treatment for a service-connected permanent and total disability and is likely to be discharged for that disability. This change is effective on December 23, 2006.

Paper Application  To apply online


Michigan Children of Veterans' Tuition Grant Program

DEA recipients may also be eligible for a tuition waiver of up to $2,800 per year.  For more information check out the Michigan Department of Military and Veterans Affairs website.


Contact Us
(989) 964-2462(989) 964-2462
(989) 964-6095


Curtiss 121


Office M-F 8:00AM-4:30PM or by appt.