Leadership Development at SVSU
The SVSU Leadership Development Program is designed for Administrative Professionals, Faculty and Support Staff newly appointed to leadership/supervisory positions and others seeking leadership development within the University.
The program is based upon the Core Capabilities of Effective Leaders with the foundation of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DE&I) concepts and principles. A series of sessions will be held covering each competency topic through presentations, discussion, exercises, development plans and assignments.
This program is an opportunity for current and emerging leaders at SVSU to explore, expand and deepen their personal and professional leadership skills and understanding.
The Program will:
- Provide a safe, open environment for personal growth and exploration.
- Utilize Saginaw Valley State University talent to educate and feature.
Although it is SVSU's intention to support all employees who wish to advance personally and professionally, this is not intended as a purely succession-based program, nor is it guaranteeing advancement. Strong leadership is essential to the future of SVSU and this is one step to building and supporting talent.
All senior leadership, directors, supervisors, mentors and colleagues are encouraged to share this opportunity with current and emerging leaders and encourage them to apply.
- Expand their knowledge, understanding, awareness and skills as it relates to the Core Capabilities of Effective Leaders and DE&I concepts and principles.
- Build networks and learn from others within the group.
- Be provided opportunities to share experiences, knowledge, opinions and ideas, while also moving outside their comfort zone to grow as a leader.
- Be provided opportunities for hands-on application.
- Map out a personal plan to further expand their skills, experience and educational development.
- Leadership Program Development Sessions are planned for the Fall Semester September 2022 - December 2022
- To support and encourage diversity, equity and inclusivity opportunities for all, current or emerging leader applicants must apply through the Leadership Development Program application below. Refer to the Application Criteria below for more information.
The deadline to apply is Friday, September 9, 2022.
Program Session Descriptions
Becoming an Inspirational Leader – Engaging Others through Words, Actions & Vision
Wednesday, September 21, 2022 8:30 am – 10:30 am
- Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Core Concepts and Principles
- Dr. Mamie Thorns, Associate Vice President and Chief Diversity Officer for Diversity Equity and Inclusion
- Leadership Mindset - How to Lead and Influence - This highly interactive and experiential presentation encourages participants to activate their "leadership mindsets" as they deal with different levels of leadership challenges.
- Dr. Joseph C. Ofori-Dankwa, Harvey Randall Wickes Endowed Professor
Communication: Growing Through Tough Conversations and Developing Civility in the Workplace
Wednesday, October 12, 2022, 8:30 am – 10:30 am
- Communication Tools, Techniques & Effective Execution
Setting a Strategic Vision, Direction, and a Compelling Course of Action that Drives Performance
Wednesday, October 26, 2022, 8:30 am – 10:30 am
- Strategic Planning Tools & Techniques - How to Establish Performance Measures That “DRIVE” Behaviors and Lead to Positive Outcomes
-Lee Ann Rouse
Overcoming Ethical Challenges in Leadership
Wednesday, November 16, 2022 - 8:30 am – 10:30 am
- Ethical Leadership Overview
– Corrie Piotrowski, Assistant Vice President of Administration and Business Affairs/Director of Human Resources
- Ethical Leadership Challenges in Higher Ed
– Panel Discussion
Wednesday, December 7, 2022, 8:30 am – 1:00 pm
How to Achieve a Competitive Edge Through Personal Development and Building Talent
- Building DE&I Talent through Coaching, Mentorship & People Leadership (Facilitated by John Kaczynski, Executive Director of Governmental and Community Affairs)
– Panel TBD
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion beyond our Campus Community.
- DEI Leadership in our Community Roundtable (Facilitated by Dr. Deb Huntley, Provost & Vice President for Academic Affairs)
- Tiffany Torain, Dow DEI Relationship Manger
- Renee Johnston, Saginaw Community Foundation
- Sharon Mortensen, Midland Community Foundation
- Diane Fong, Bay Community Foundation
All applicants must have their supervisors’ approval for time away from work responsibilities.
For more information or questions, please contact the Office of Human Resources at email@example.com or (989) 964-4111.
Office of Human Resources
Phone: (989) 964-4108 / Fax: (989) 964-7066
Employment & Hiring
Phone: (989) 964-4108 / Fax: (989) 964-7066