Skip to main content Skip to footer
SVSU logo on a blue tessellated background with

Our staff are ready to help you in any way possible! Until May 1st, our office will be here to serve you virtually. You can schedule an appointment with any of our Admissions Reps through our Virtual Appointment scheduler, or email us at If you would like to talk with someone personally on the phone, please give our office a call at 989.964.4200. We check that voicemail regularly, so please leave a voicemail and we will call back as soon as possible!


You are a transfer applicant if you have completed coursework at a college or university after high school graduation. Explore the links below to learn about applying as a transfer student.

Contact us at: | (989) 964-4200 or (800) 968-9500

Meet Dalton Crabtree - Transfer Student

Transferring, by its very nature, is a complicated process, so let us help you make the experience as smooth a process as is possible.  Come see us early, especially if you plan to stay at your current institution to take coursework for eventual transfer to and use at SVSU.  We're here to help guide you in making informed transfer decisions about the credits you will bring with you to SVSU.

For optimal results, transferring involves arranging a customized evaluation of existing credits and strategic planning of remaining credits, whether those remaining credits are to be completed at the transfer-from institution or eventually at SVSU.  If you would like to arrange a personalized transfer-student visit for this purpose, call the Office of Admissions at 989.964.4200 or 800.968.9500.

For a more in-depth view of SVSU visit or explore our virtual tour.

When to Apply:

You can apply to Saginaw Valley State University at any point in the year. However, you may apply up to one year before your intended SVSU start term and we strongly recommend that you apply at least by the time you begin your last semester/quarter at your present college or university. Do not wait until you have completed your last class. The chart below can be used as a guide on when to submit your application.

Entering Semester

Recommended to Apply By*  

Registration Begins

Fall (August)

             February 15th                  

Early April

Winter (January)

October 1st

Early November

Spring (May)

February 1st


Summer (July)

February 1st


*Earlier University applications may be necessary for students also applying to professional programs.

Application Submission Instructions: SVSU Transfer Application

  1. Complete the application for admission 
  2. Pay the $30 non-refundable application fee.
  3. Have your official transcripts from all colleges and universities previously attended sent to SVSU.
  4. If fewer than 24 academic credit hours have been completed, send a copy of high school transcripts with posted graduation date and ACT/SAT scores to the Office of Admissions.
  5. If more than 24 academic credit hours have been completed, send a copy of your high school diploma to the Office of Admissions via email:
  6. If you have already earned an associate's degree, and that credential has been posted to an official transcript, then there is no need to provide proof of high school graduation credentials to the Office of Admissions.

• If you do not see the institution you are looking for when searching our lookup tool, please contact the Admissions Office at Or you can schedule an appointment with an admission office representative to receive an unofficial transcript evaluation. 

• Key highlights of specific requirements and limitations for undergraduate programs:

  1. The maximum credits accepted from all sources for an undergraduate degree program is 93 credits (with the exception of the 150-credit hour accounting program where the maximum credits accepted is 119 credits).
  2. The maximum credits accepted from all two-year institutions for an undergraduate degree program is 62.
  3. The minimum acceptable grade for transfer to an undergraduate degree program is "C-" or its equivalent (unless otherwise specified in the requirements for the students chosen academic program/s).

For the comprehensive transfer credit policy, click here and follow the "Transfer Credit" link under the "Registration" header.

• Once a transfer student is admitted to the university, he or she will receive an official Transfer Equivalency Report (TER) from the Office of the Registrar which will detail how each course previously taken will transfer to SVSU.

• Learn how your credits transfer to SVSU or find what courses fulfill an SVSU course »

‌‌‌‌‌MACRAO Agreement and the Michigan Transfer Agreement/MTA:

SVSU participates in both the MACRAO Agreement and the Michigan Transfer Agreement/MTA. If your transfer transcript reflects either MACRAO or MTA completion, then all 30 of your MACRAO/MTA credits will be applied so that you will have met 30 (the majority) of SVSU's general education requirements. If you are planning eventual transfer to SVSU, then contact SVSU's Office of Admission to see if either MACRAO or MTA is right for you. For more information about how to earn either agreement, contact the academic advising office of the school where you will pursue the MACRAO/MTA requirements.


Transfer Guides:

If you are thinking of transferring to Saginaw Valley State University from a two-year community college, our transfer guides are designed to help provide important information about the classes to consider taking prior to initial transfer. You are not required to complete all of the classes listed on the guide before enrolling at SVSU. Changes occasionally take place at SVSU and at other colleges, so the information provided is subject to change. Students intending to transfer to SVSU from another college or university are responsible for planning their courses to meet the requirements at SVSU. Students are STRONGLY encouraged to maintain regular contact with an SVSU pre-admission transfer adviser. Information provided on this site is for incoming transfer students, not for currently enrolled SVSU students.


 * * * To find your appropriate Transfer Guide, please click here. * * *


 Articulation Agreements:

SVSU’s articulation agreements highlight and promote special transfer arrangements made above and beyond the regular transfer path with a number of Michigan community colleges. To determine if your program and/or school falls under one of these special agreements with SVSU, please contact the Office of Admissions at (989) 964-4200 or (800) 968-9500.


Reverse Transfer:

Reverse Transfer is an optional process by which transfer students currently enrolled in a four-year university can transfer university credits back to their former community college in an effort to qualify for an associate degree credential from that community college.  Formal Reverse Transfer arrangements exist between SVSU and each of the following Michigan community college partners:

  • Alpena Community College
  • Lansing Community College
  • Delta College
  • Mid Michigan Community College
  • Kirtland Community College
  • Mott Community College
  • Kalamazoo Valley Community College
  •  St. Clair County Community College

For more information, please click here.

A transfer applicant with a 2.0 cumulative G.P.A. or above with a minimum of 24 academic credit hours completed at a former higher education institution will be admitted to Saginaw Valley State University. Courses completed as well as the trend of the most recent grades will be taken into account.

A transfer applicant with a 2.0 cumulative G.P.A. or above with FEWER than 24 academic credit hours completed must also submit high school transcripts and their ACT or SAT score.  Admission evaluation will be made based on both the college record and the high school record, using the freshman admission requirements.

To be considered for admission:

A transfer applicant must demonstrate at least a 2.00 cumulative collegiate GPA or higher with a minimum of 24 academic credits completed at their prior/current institution(s).

If at the time of applying to SVSU a transfer applicant has at least a 2.00 cumulative collegiate GPA or higher and less than 24 academic credits completed, their cumulative high school GPA and ACT/SAT scores will also be reviewed in tandem with their collegiate GPA performance.

Transfer Scholarships

Transfer students are encouraged to explore competitive scholarship opportunities at:
Search by keyword: Transfer

Students are encouraged to submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on an early basis (as early as October 1) for consideration of these awards. In addition to the FAFSA form, a separate scholarship application is required upon admission to the University.


When & How to Apply for Scholarships

Most scholarship applications are due by April 1 for the upcoming school year.

To submit an application for transfer scholarship opportunities, follow these steps:

     Go to
     Click the Newly Admitted link
     Sign in using your SVSU username and password (must be admitted to SVSU to access site)
     Select the General Application tab on the top left hand side of the screen
     Complete the general application and click submit at the bottom of the screen
     Review the scholarship opportunities available to you and apply for the ones that interest you

Step 1: Apply for Admission

Click Here

Step 2: Already Admitted?

Click Here

Step 3: Make First Tuition Payment

Payment for each semester is due usually at least three weeks before classes begin. For a list of Important Dates, click here.

  1. Log into, SVSU's web-based student access system (For details, click here)
  2. Payment can be made via cash, check, money order, or credit card. Information about the Cardinal Payment Plan and other payment options can be accessed at

 Click HERE to view Express Registration Questions

Housing & Meal Plans - Transfer Applicants

Step 1: Apply to SVSU

Before you can apply for on-campus housing at Saginaw Valley State University, you must be admitted to the University. If you have not applied and been admitted to the University, please visit:

Step 2: Reserve Orientation Date

Click here for orientation information.

Step 3: Complete Housing Application and Prepayment

Follow the "Housing" links at

Submit housing application and contract materials along with a $200 prepayment. Please make sure you have enough financing to cover the contract as you are entering into a binding legal contract with the University as long as you are enrolled. You can verify your financial details on your award letter that is generated by filing your FAFSA.

Housing is granted on a first-come, first-served basis. If you are hoping to enjoy the benefits of living on campus, you should submit your housing application and contract materials as soon as possible once the applications are available.

Step 4: Explore Meal Plan Options

Incoming transfer students with 30+ credits may choose any of our meal plan options. See the "Dining" links at

Advance Placement (AP) Policy:

Saginaw Valley State University participates in the Advanced Placement Program of the College Entrance Examination Board and grants either advanced credit, advanced placement or both, to freshmen who have completed college-level studies while still in high school and have earned satisfactory scores on the Advanced Placement examinations.

Scores of "3", "4" or "5" on the following examinations assure the entering student of both advanced placement and credit: American History, Studio Art, Art History, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, Computer Science, English Composition and Literature, English Language and Composition, European History, Music, Physics B and Physics C. Credit and placement are granted for scores of "4" or "5" on Biology, French, German, Latin, Psychology and Spanish examinations.

To find out the direct equivalencies for the AP test you have taken, please click on the link below.  You can either search by Department Letter or Search by Keyword.  The (#) is the minimum score required to receive transfer credit equivalency.

To see how your AP credits can transfer into SVSU, click here.

International Baccalaureate (IB) Policy:

SVSU will grant transfer credit and/or waive requirements according to the following provisions:

  1. Credits: Only for HL (Higher Level) examinations, scores of "4" or higher. Only basic skills and general education credits will be awarded. Students may pursue individual course credits by petition through respective departments.
  2. Theory of Knowledge, grade of "C" or better: 3 credits, General Education Category 5 or 8.
  3. Extended Essay, grade of "C" or better: 3 credits, General Education Category 10.

Contact the Office of the Registrar at (989) 964-4085 or for information about the available credit and minimum required scores.

College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) Policy:

The CLEP testing program gives individuals the chance to earn college credit by examination in a variety of areas of study. Two types of tests are offered—general examinations and subject examinations. 

To see how your CLEP credits can transfer to SVSU, click here.

Dual Enrollment Policy:

Many students will take college courses while attending high school.  These courses can be considered for college credit if Saginaw Valley State University receives an official copy of the college transcript.  SVSU cannot give credit for college credit using your high school transcript. It is the student's responsibility to contact the college issuing the credit to have official transcripts sent to SVSU.  

To check how your courses transfer to SVSU or to find what courses fulfill an SVSU course, click here. Or you can schedule an appointment with an admissions office representative to receive an unofficial transcript evaluation.

Below are the answers to commonly asked questions about transferring to SVSU.

  • When should I first talk with SVSU?
    • As soon as you know you have an interest. We can help you choose the optimal courses at your current institution for eventual and applicable transfer.
  • What if I'm not sure that I am ready to apply? Can I meet with an admissions representative and tour campus to help me make my decision?
    • Yes, we encourage you to visit with us. Much of the university choice is about finding the right fit, so we want you to know that we are your best choice.
  • How do I look up classes to see if they transfer to SVSU?
    • Step 1: Go to
    • Step 2: Click one of the two search options to see how your community college credits transfer.
    • Step 3: If you have university transfer credits, contact the Office of Admissions: 989-964-4200.
  • What is the maximum number of community college credits I can transfer to SVSU?
    • 62 total. 
    • Note: Some special agreements with community colleges allow for additional credits to transfer. Please check with the Office of Admissions for details.
    • For the comprehensive transfer credit policy, click here and follow the "Transfer Credit" link under the "Registration" header.
  • Is an associate's degree required before I can transfer to SVSU?
    • No, it's a matter of individual choice.
  • I want to take more classes at my community college before transferring to SVSU. Where can I find additional information about which classes to choose for transfer credit?
    • You can check out our website at and/or make an appointment with SVSU's Office of Admissions. Be sure to bring at least a copy of your transcripts from all institutions attended so that the admissions representative will know what you have already taken or are currently taking. 
  • I took advanced placement courses and exams in high school and/or dual enrollment. Can I earn credit for these at SVSU?
    • Yes, quite possibly. Have your official dual enrollment college transcript and official AP score report sent when applying to SVSU.
  • Does SVSU honor MACRAO and/or MTA, and if so, should I earn either MACRAO or MTA or neither before transferring to SVSU?
    • SVSU honors both MACRAO and MTA. The benefits of MACRAO or MTA can depend largely upon your SVSU major and your individual academic background. Schedule a personal, pre-transfer appointment with SVSU at the earliest possible juncture to see what will work best for your individual situation. 
    For more information and for answers to additional transfer questions, please click


Contact Us

(989) 964-4200(989) 964-4200
(989) 790-0180


7400 Bay Road
University Center, MI 48710


Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 8:00 am until 4:30 pm
Wednesday: 8:00 am until 6:00 pm