Steps to Request Services
The Office of Accessibility Resources and Accommodations (ARA) assists students with documented differential levels of abilities. Our services are individualized to meet the needs of SVSU students and are based on an interview and appropriate documentation. There is no program that requires special admission and there are no fees for services. Students are encouraged to self-identify as soon as accepted for admission so that documentation can be collected in a timely manner.
Step One: Register With the Office of Accessibility Resources and Accommodations
- The ARA uses a system called AIMS which can be accessed at the bottom and top of any of our web pages via svsu.edu/access.
- At this page, students can access AIMs by clicking on the buttons at the top or bottom of the page that reads AIMs. Once there, at the center of the page, there is a link for "New Students." Click this link to complete the application then hit "Submit."
Step Two: Collect Documentation From Health Care Provider
- Deliver the appropriate ARA provided form for completion to the health provider.
- All documentation provided must be from a licensed diagnostician or physician and must be completed by the diagnosing health care provider(s).
- Each provider must state: The diagnosis, diagnostic code and course of treatment, the nature and severity of the student’s functional limitations, the appropriate scores and tests administered (if applicable) and the substantiation of the need for specific accommodations.
- The healthcare provider can fax the forms to (989) 964-7164. If there is additional information, please ask the healthcare provider to include this in their fax.
Step Three: Make an Appointment With an ARA Representative for a Determination Interview
This interview will determine what accommodations are needed to help assist students over the duration of their collegiate years. To make an appointment call (989) 964-7000, email the ARA at email@example.com or come into the office at Wickes 260B.
Steps in Review
- Register with the ARA using the AIMS system.
- Collect all of the necessary documentation from the appropriate health care provider. Then have the health care provider fax the documents to the appropriate location.
- Finally, schedule an appointment with an ARA Representative.
Director of Academic Support Programs
Assistant Director of Accessibility Resources and Accommodations