Click on the links below for curriculum requirements as found in the undergraduate catalog for the medical laboratory science program.
Essential Functions represent non-academic requirements of the profession that all students must possess to become successful in the clinical laboratory environment and to become employable. Students considering the MLS program should perform a self assessment to verify that they meet these essential functions prior to applying:
1. Possess sufficient vision to easily read charts, graphs, instrument panels, printouts, small graduated scales, etc.
2. Be able to discriminate colors in order to identify reagents, select proper tube types, distinguish physical properties of various body fluids and prepare and identify cells and tissues.
3. Be able to read, write and communicate in the English language to facilitate effective communication with patients, physicians, and all other members of the health care team.
4. Possess sufficient hearing ability with or without auditory aides to understand the normal speaking voice and discern audible instrument alert signals and timing devices.
5. Demonstrate sufficient manual dexterity to safely and accurately perform required tasks such as phlebotomy, operating delicate instruments, manipulating tools, handling small containers of potentially bio-hazardous specimens (one by one-half inch), and utilizing sample measuring devices.
6. Be sufficiently mobile to traverse about the laboratory, hospital corridors, patient’s rooms, offices and patient examining rooms, (minimum width approximately three feet).
7. Possess the emotional health and psychological stability required to fully utilize their intellectual abilities under stressful conditions thus allowing them to be able to recognize emergency situations, take appropriate action, and be an effective problem solver.
8. Be able to sit for extended periods of time at computer stations, read information from a monitor, and use the keyboard.
NOTE: Corrective devices and reasonable accommodations may be utilized to satisfy these essential functions.