Skip to main content Skip to footer

Central Office (District-level) Endorsement plus Education Specialist degree

Effective January 4, 2010, Administrator Certification became mandatory in the State of Michigan. Administrator Certification requires the completion of a master’s degree or higher from an approved program in educational leadership or administration offered by an institute of higher education (IHE).  There are two basic endorsements available on the initial certificate (i.e. Elementary/Secondary Administrator K-12 (Building-level) or Central Office (District-level).

Endorsement Code: 

Not Applicable

Available To: 

Elementary-level certified teachers
Secondary-level certified teachers

Description of Endorsement:

The Central Office (District-level) endorsement is required for superintendents, principals, assistant principals or other persons whose primary responsibilities are to administer instructional programs. The required courses listed below are intended for individuals who already posses a master’s degree and wish to obtain the Central Office (District-level) endorsement along with an Education Specialist (Ed.S.) degree.  The College of Education will recommend individuals for the Central Office (District-level) endorsement upon successful completion of all required coursework.

Courses for this endorsement are incorporated in the Education Specialist (Ed.S.) – Central Office Personnel degree program.  All coursework toward a graduate degree must be completed within a seven year period. 

Individuals who hold a master’s degree or higher and wish to obtain the Administrator Certification only without pursuing an Education Specialist degree should consult with a faculty advisor to establish a plan of study as requirements vary based upon prior coursework, state mandates and/or career goals.

Associated MTTC Test:


Required Coursework:

To obtain this endorsement select the following link for a list of required courses:

Education Specialist – Central Office Personnel

Upon completion of all program requirements, students must submit a completed endorsement application on the MOECS website at to add this endorsement to their teaching certificate.

While the above information represents the most current advising information available, be aware that certain factors may change affecting the validity of this information, such as changes mandated by the Michigan Department of Education. For this reason, students are STRONGLY advised to consult a certification advisor frequently throughout the duration of their program.

Last Updated: March 6, 2024

Contact Us


Gilbertson Hall 135