Skip to main content Skip to footer

Certification - Substitute Permits

A substitute permit allows a person who does not hold a valid Michigan teaching certificate, or one valid for the teaching assignment, to be employed as a substitute teacher on a day-to-day basis when the regular teacher is temporarily absent.  This type of permit is not valid for a regular or extended teaching assignment.  To qualify for a substitute permit, an individual must have completed at least 90 semester hours of satisfactory credit at a college or university.  In accordance with existing policy, college credit is defined as satisfactory if it is a "C" (2.0) cumulative grade-point average or better.  Also, these credits must have been completed at or transferred to a four-year, regionally accredited college or university; they will not be accepted directly from a community college.  The substitute permit is valid until June 30 of the school year in which the permit is issued.

Permits are issued by the employing school district only.  Applications can be obtained through the local or intermediate school district office.

Contact Us
(989) 964-4057(989) 964-4057
Toll-free: 1-800-968-2540


James E. Tarr, Ph.D.

Acting Assistant Dean & Professor

Colleen D'Arcy, Ph.D.


College of Education Dean's Office
Gilbertson Hall, North 275
University Center, MI 48710


8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.