Welcome to Saginaw Valley State University!
The College of Education has a strong tradition. I should know; I was able to hire a number of SVSU graduates as a school superintendent for two decades. One of the key factors is the exceptional set of opportunities given in field service. SVSU students are in classrooms frequently during their undergraduate work, well ahead of student teaching.
Why is SVSU so strong? It is about the relationships. The way undergraduates connect with faculty is special, as is the way they connect with area school leaders and teachers. Said another way, SVSU is known as a great conduit for undergraduates to become known with those who do the hiring.
Consider these facts-
* Last year and the year before, ALL of our graduates in Early Childhood were hired;
* 98% of SVSU’s first-year through third-year teachers were rated either highly effective or effective by their school principals;
* 2014 Michigan Middle School Social Studies Teacher of the Year: Jamie Hales by the Michigan Council for Social Studies: SVSU Grad;
* 2013 Michigan Teacher of the Year : Gary Abud by The Michigan Department of Education: SVSU Grad;
* 2013 Outstanding Practicing Principal by the Michigan Elementary and Middle School Principals’ Association: Kurt Sutton: SVSU Grad.
* 2012 Michigan Creative Writing Teacher of the Year : by the Michigan Council of Teachers of English Jared Morningstar: SVSU Grad.
* 3 Continents; 4 Countries: Student teach in China, Australia, Spain, India; study abroad in Italy, India
* 29 Initial certification programs , including ESL, Early Childhood, Modern Foreign Languages, Special Education
* 4 Programs that have received National Recognition: Elementary Education, Learning Disabilities, Literacy/Reading, Autism Spectrum Disorders
The Michigan Department of Education recognizes SVSU's excellence when they offer their highest rating to the College of Education. We aspire to be the best at what we do. Visit us, contact us, and get to know us.
Craig Douglas, Dean
College of Education
Phone: 989 964 7107