Applications for the 2024-2025 Cohort Are Now Open!
Global Foundation Scholars is a Program of Distinction at Saginaw Valley State University (SVSU). This program provides a select group of students with a unique college experience through common coursework, living communities, and an opportunity to study abroad.
With the Global Foundation Scholars program, you will:
- Receive $1,200 to be used towards a study abroad experience after successful completion of first-year requirements.
- Be in two selective classes with other Global Foundation Scholars students during the fall and winter semesters of your first year.
- Receive priority registration for the 2025-2026 Academic Year.
- Be assigned an academic advisor to assist you with your progress toward graduation.
- Be offered extra-curricular activities and events (admission fees paid by the Global Foundation Scholars program).
- Be given the option to reside in the Global Foundation Scholars floor of the Living Center on SVSU's campus. We highly encourage you to live with the cohort if you plan to live on campus.
- Experience a retreat held before the start of the fall semester, during which you will be able to meet fellow students, upperclassmen, and staff.
To qualify to apply for the Global Foundation Scholars program you must:
- Be a graduating high school senior going into your first semester as a freshman at SVSU for the Fall 2024 semester
- Have a minimum 3.5 cumulative high school GPA.
- Show demonstrated leadership and service in your high school and/or community.
- Be fully admitted to SVSU as an undergraduate.
To maintain your membership as a Global Foundation Scholar, you must:
- Be enrolled full-time during fall and winter semesters throughout your undergraduate degree at SVSU.
- Maintain a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA.
- Attend regular meetings (as requested) with your academic advisor.
The selection process is competitive, and we accept a limited number of students each year. Once your application has been submitted and reviewed, you will be sent a letter informing you of whether or not you have been selected for the program.
For more information, contact Foundation Scholars Program Coordinator, Cody Alberts, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (989) 964- 2167.