Saginaw Valley State University honored businesses, entrepreneurs, faculty and alumni dedicated to enriching the business climate of Michigan’s Great Lakes Bay Region during SVSU's 5th annual Academia Awards Best in Business ceremony Friday, March 23.
Recipients of the business and alumni awards were chosen by an advisory board for SVSU's College of Business & Management. The faculty award honorees were selected by SVSU students.
The recipients of the business awards include the following:
• Star of the West Milling Co. received the Outstanding Business Award, presented to a company with a record of steady employment and strong corporate citizenship. Star of the West Milling Co., founded in Frankenmuth, is the 12th-largest flour milling company in the United States.
• Rowleys Wholesale earned the Outstanding Family Business Award, which is given to a family-owned company that demonstrates a commitment to community-minded business practices. The Bay City-based business distributes automotive equipment such as tires and car wash chemicals.
• Dick Garber, president of Garber Management Group, received the Outstanding Business Leader award, presented to an individual whose interests and actions contribute to the cultural and economic growth of the region. Garber is a third-generation owner of the company, with operations that include automotive dealerships in four states as well as the Saginaw Spirit hockey franchise.
• The Outstanding Entrepreneur Award was presented both to Al Thieme, founder and chairman of Amigo Mobility International, and Beth Thieme, vice president and chief executive officer of the company. The award honors individuals whose successes include both sales as well as support for the surrounding community. The Bridgeport Township-based business produces mobility scooters that better the lives of individuals with physical disabilities.
The SVSU faculty members recognized at the ceremony include the following:
• Amy Hendrickson, assistant professor of law, who received the Excellence in Teaching for Full-Time Faculty Award
• Mazen Jaber, associate professor of marketing, who received the Excellence in Service Award
• Shiva Nadavulakere, associate professor of management, who received the Excellence in Research Award
• L. Mark St. Clair, an adjunct instructor of economics, who received the Excellence in Teaching for Adjunct Faculty Award
Alumni recognized at the event include the following:
• Tammy Bernier, the co-owner and CEO of Duperon Corp. who earned a bachelor's degree in management in 1993, for the Outstanding Alumna Award
• Kylie Bos, who earned a bachelor's degree in management in 2016, for the Outstanding Undergraduate Student Award
• Patrick Dolan, who earned a master's degree in business administration in 2017, for the Outstanding Graduate Student Award
SVSU's College of Business and Management is among the 5 percent of business schools worldwide who are accredited by AACSB International; this is widely considered to be the gold standard for business school accreditation.
For more information, visit www.svsu.edu/cbm.