meta sv spg


Here to Help

The ombudsman helps students resolve concerns, problems, or conflicts with regards ‌to University policies, procedures, and decisions. The ombudsman provides for a confidential and neutral place for students to come to express their concerns. Students work with the ombudsman to identify steps that may be taken to achieve a timely and fair resolution to a problem.

The ombudsman may collaborate with others in the University community regarding student concerns. The ombudsman is interested in both issue resolution and prevention in resolving both academic and non-academic concerns.


You should contact the Ombudsman when you:

  • Have a problem at SVSU and don’t know how to proceed
  • Feel your concerns are not being addressed
  • Find yourself entangled in bureaucratic red tape
  • Need information about SVSU policies or procedures
  • Need someone to help resolve or mediate a dispute with a student, faculty, or staff member
  • Feel you have been treated unfairly
  • Think the University has made an error
  • Want information about grievance procedures and rights at SVSU
  • Have suggestions about how to improve the University

The Ombudsman will:

  • Listen to you
  • Answer your questions
  • Discuss your concerns and clarify the issue
  • Explain SVSU policies and procedures
  • Provide information
  • Develop options
  • Offer a safe place for students to express grievances
  • Assist you as you puruse resolution(s)
  • Offer coaching for difficult conversations
  • Make referrals to other campus and community resources

The Ombudsman will not:

  • Advocate for specific outcomes
  • Conduct formal investigations
  • Make decisions for students (or overturn decisions made by others)
  • Supersede the authority of a University Official
  • Replace or circumvent existing University channels
  • Act as an agent of "notice" for the University
  • Provide leagal advice or represent students in a legal manner

How to Contact the University Ombudsman:

Contact the office directly via email at or call 989.964.4410. You can visit the Student Affairs Office in 114 Curtiss Hall.