Skip to main content Skip to footer

Reservist or National Guard

Federal Tuition Assistance

To apply for Federal tuition assistance (TA) go to  

SVSU’s school code is 00231400. Use 2016-17 tuition rates. Remember you must apply prior to the start of each term. FYI - TA will NOT pay fees, just standard tuition costs up to $250 per credit hour. After submitting your TA paperwork, make sure you contact your Readiness NCO so they can take action to approve your TA within GoArmyEd

For reservists in the other services or Air National Guard members, visit’s TA Overview to see how to apply for TA benefits.

State of Michigan Tuition Assistance for National Guard Soldiers

MGIB-SR versus Post 9-11 GI Bill®

As a drilling or former reservist, you can also apply for Veterans Affairs (VA) educational benefits in the form of either the Montgomery GI Bill® – Selected Reserve (SR) (Chapter 1606) or Post 9-11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33). If you have a VA-compensated disability rating, you may be eligible under Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Chapter 31).

Because the Post 9-11 GI Bill® benefits are pro-rated based on your active federal service, as the number of months you have served under Title X orders increases, so does your benefit percentage. If you have completed at least one deployment you may want to compare the options to see which entitlement program works best for you. Be advised that when you leave drilling status your eligibility for Chapter 1606 stops until you apply for Post 9-11 status. 

The different options can be confusing. For more detailed information and how to compare benefit plans, check out

Students Recalled to Active Duty

Worried about what happens if you get activated? Don't be. A veteran or reservist, who receives orders to report for duty while attending a specific term, will be eligible for a full refund. Students should visit the Military Student Affairs Office to complete the appropriate paperwork to withdraw from courses and to notify the VA. A copy of the student’s orders must be provided. If the student is using VA benefits, VA Form 21-4138 , Statement of Support of Claim, should also be completed.

Eligibility for VA education benefits will be held in abeyance until the veteran’s return to school. In other words, the remaining months of entitlement will be available to the guard/reservist when he or she re-enrolls as a student.

Contact Us
(989) 964-2462(989) 964-2462
(989) 964-6095


Curtiss 121


Office M-F 8:00AM-4:30PM or by appt.