Your first math placement is very important to your success in college. It should be neither below nor beyond your preparation level, and it should move you toward the completion of your degree program. We want to make sure your math placement fits you and your needs as closely as possible.
Your initial math placement at SVSU will be based on your SAT Math sub-score. Students may try to improve their initial placement by taking a mathematics placement test. Students may take this placement test no more than 2 times. There is a $10.00 fee for taking the test a second time.
Students without SAT Math sub-scores must take the mathematics placement test. These students may take the placement test no more than 2 times. Transfer students who do not transfer appropriate coursework to SVSU, but do submit SAT Math sub-scores, will follow the usual procedure for students with SAT scores.
Those students who do not have an SAT math sub-score, or who wish to exercise the re-test option, will take the Accuplacer Math Placement test, developed by College Board. This computer-based test is designed to evaluate students' ability levels in Elementary Algebra, Algebra, College Algebra, and Trigonometry. The test is untimed and is comprised of multiple-choice questions. The exam has two levels; if the student scores high enough on the first level of the test, they will move to the second. Each portion contains 20 questions. For more information on ACCUPLACER visit https://accuplacer.collegeboard.org/
A high enough score on the Accuplacer Math Placement test can waive Math 081, Math 082, Math 103, Math 120A or Math 140. Waiving a course does not give a student credit for taking the course but allows a student to take any class that has that course as a prerequisite. Waiving Math 082 also satisfies the Math Basic Skills requirement.
1. You have only two opportunities to do so. There is a 30 day wait period between the initial Accuplacer Math test and a retake.
2. You must schedule in advance to take the placement test. To schedule a test, go to https://www.registerblast.com/svsu/. For more information about scheduling a test, contact the Testing Center at (989) 964-2820 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you choose to email, please include your student number in the message.
3. There is no fee for taking the placement test the first time. There is a $10.00 fee for taking the test a second time.
4. You will be asked to show a picture ID before you take the placement re-test.
5. A calculator is built into the math test software and is the only calculator allowed for this examination.
6. While you should not cram for the test to avoid placing too high, it is a good idea to review before the test so that you are not placed too low. You are unlikely to improve your placement unless you do some kind of preparation or review.
For some sample accuplacer problems, click on the link below:
Elementary Algebra Refresher (174KB)
Elementary Algebra Practice Problems (177KB)
Advanced Algebra Refresher (190KB)
Advanced Algebra Review Problems (154KB)
Key for Advanced Algebra Review Problems (141KB)
Feel free to come by the Math & Physics Resource Center to work with one of our tutors. For our current schedule click here.