November 21, 2014
College Update Fall 2014-College of Education
- The college began an Early Childhood “fast-track” graduate program in May 2014.
- Twenty-four pre-service teachers from Shanghai Normal University were hosted on campus for a three-week training session on U.S. pedagogy.
- Anita Collins was welcomed as a new faculty member.
- A successful, three-part professional development series was ofered for P–12 teachers in June and July 2014. Registration was closed at 20 teachers.
- The two-week Science and Math Extravaganza for Kids took place July 17-31. Eighty area second- through eighth-grade students attended the camp, now in its 18th year.
- A one-year professional development program for 45 K–8 regional grade school teachers was funded through the U.S. Department of Education. The goal is to increase mathcontent knowledge and efective teaching methodology.
- Clinical, placement and certiication personnel recently moved into remodeled oices on the second loor of the Regional Education Center.
- In fall 2014, SVSU and Ming Chuan University ofered the irst joint courses in “Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language.” Kerry Segal, professor of English, is the coordinator of the program.
- The elementary education program recently received national recognition by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation/Association for Childhood Education International; SVSU was the only elementary program in the state of Michigan to be so recognized.