A writing center tutor writing on a white board

Writing Center Strategic Plan

Mission and Vision

The Writing Center serves Saginaw Valley State University by raising the level of excellence in student writing, at all levels and in all disciplines. To achieve this goal, the Writing Center provides one-on-one tutorial sessions, workshops, and various resources for students to develop their skills as writers and critical thinkers within the academic community and the community at large.

Our Writing Center will be a dynamic place of growth for all writers. To achieve this, we will develop innovative programs to serve all students, engage in our campus and community, and support a dedicated tutoring staff that is trained in and contributes to best practices in writing center research.

Annual Report Summary

Every year, the Writing Center collects data on the work we do with students at our university. Here's a quick summary of our work from AY 2019–2020.

  • 1,838 individual tutorial sessions were conducted at the Writing Center in the fall and winter semesters.
  • 38% of the students who used the Writing Center were freshmen; the other 62% were upperclassmen and graduate students.
  • 59% of the students who use the Writing Center have a G.P.A. between 3.3 and 4.0.
  • 98% of students ranked our services as "excellent" or "good."
  • 90% of students felt "very confident" or "confident" about their ability to complete their writing assignments after their tutorial session.

CONTACT US.


Writing Center
Zahnow 250
writingcenter@svsu.edu
(989) 964-6061

Hours
Fall 2020 ONLINE
September 14–December 17 (Hours TBD)

Director, Helen Raica-Klotz
Zahnow 250
klotz@svsu.edu
(989) 964-6062