4.2-5 SEXUAL ASSAULT VICTIM ASSURANCE
Sexual assaults, including date/acquaintance rape, are a very serious concern of Saginaw Valley State University. If you feel you are the victim of a sexual assault on campus, the University Police will assure you of the following:
- We will meet with you privately, at a place of your choice, to take a complaint report.
- We will not release your name to the public or the press.
- Our officers will not prejudge you on the charges you are making.
- We will treat you with courtesy, sensitivity, dignity, understanding and professionalism.
- If you indicate a preference for talking with a female or male officer, we will do our best to accommodate your request.
- We will assist you in arranging for hospital treatment or other medical needs.
- We will assist you in contacting counseling and other available resources.
- We will fully investigate your case to achieve a just outcome. This may involve the arrest and full prosecution of the suspect responsible. You will be kept up-to-date on the progress of the investigation and/or prosecution.
- We will continue to be available for you, to answer your questions, to explain the criminal justice system, and to be a listening ear if you wish.
- We will consider your case seriously regardless of your gender or the gender of your assailant.
If you feel you have been a victim of a sexual assault, call the University Police at 964-4141 and indicate that you want to privately make a sexual assault complaint.
If University Police personnel fail to achieve any of the above, the Chief of Police will meet with you personally to address any problems. Saginaw Valley State University intends to help make this campus safe for all students, faculty, staff and visitors.
Adopted 9/25/92 VP-ABA