5.3-1 USE OF UNIVERSITY SYMBOLS AND LETTERHEAD
The University seal, logotype, and Cardinal are copyrighted symbols. Use of these copyrighted items requires advance approval through the Office of University Communications.
The SVSU seal (see sample below) is an emblem that is the official corporate designation of the institution. It is used on diplomas, certificates, legal documents, and other items of an equally substantial nature. Anyone desiring to use the seal in any way other than those listed above must first obtain approval through the Office of University Communications.
The SVSU logotype and the SVSU Cardinal (see samples below) are professionally designed pieces of art used to enhance the image of the University -- not that of individuals, departments, schools, or administrative units separately, but the institution as a whole. They exist to aid in developing a strong, positive institutional identity. The institutional identity is composed of the impressions and perceptions formed by individuals through their contacts with the University. Often the first contact occurs through printed materials, letters, publications, or signage. Therefore, it is important that use of the symbols be coordinated and consistent through all visual media.
The following requirements apply to the use of the SVSU logo and the SVSU Cardinal, letterhead and other institutional representations.
- All visual media used for promotional activity (brochures, fliers, posters, advertising, billboards, bumper stickers, etc.) must include either the SVSU logo or the Cardinal. The appropriateness of use and display shall be determined through the Office of University Communications.
- The SVSU logo and the SVSU Cardinal must be reproduced from authorized originals or copies provided through the Office of University Communications. They may not be redrawn, reproportioned or modified.
- The symbols may be used in either a positive or reverse (negative) form. The SVSU logo should be printed horizontally, unless a variance is approved through the Office of University Communications for specialized applications. The SVSU Cardinal may be printed facing to the right or to the left; the Office of University Communications can supply either version.
- Representations of University buildings that are to be reproduced in printed materials must be approved through the Office of University Communications. The Office can supply photos or line drawn renditions of campus buildings.
- The use of University letterhead must be confined to official institutional business. The primary use will be correspondence that executes University business or furthers University goals and objectives. Only University employees or designated agents of the institution may use University letterhead. Use of University letterhead for non-institutional purposes and/or business of a personal nature is not permitted. It also is impermissible to use University letterhead to issue institutional policy or position statements, or statements that could be construed as institutional policy, or for political or commercial endorsements, unless such statements and endorsements represent an institutional position approved through appropriate channels. "Institutional purposes" include those authorized by statute or public act and those not expressly prohibited by statute or public act. All use of University letterhead must be consistent with the institutional mission.
- Groups affiliated with Saginaw Valley State University who wish to use an organizational logo in conjunction with the name of the institution must have the design approved in advance through the Office of University Communications.
Approved 11/18/87 ED JAF