December 16, 2019
SVSU Board approves room and board rates, faculty sabbaticals
The Saginaw Valley State University Board of Control approved room and board rates for the 2020-21 and 2021-22 academic years during the Board’s regular meeting Friday, Dec. 13.
Overall, rates are increasing by less than 2 percent each of the next two years, and some rates will see a minor reduction.
For freshmen who choose a shared bedroom unit in one of the Living Centers, rates will drop from $10,030 to $9,990 for each of the next two years, including their meal plan. Freshmen who choose a single bedroom unit will see rates rise next year from $10,440 to $10,850 in the First Year Suites, and in the Living Centers, rates will increase from $11,156 to $11,378 for single bedroom units.
Similarly, returning students in some shared bedroom units will see slight decreases in their rates, while most other rates will rise modestly. The total weighted increase for 2020-21 is 1.87% and the total weighted increase for 2021-22 is 1.74%.
The Board also approved 11 faculty sabbaticals for faculty members who will pursue a variety of research projects in their respective disciplines during the 2020-21academic year. Those who were approved for sabbaticals were:
- Arundhati Bagchi Misra, mathematical sciences
- Emily Beard-Bohn, English
- Ranjana Dutta, psychology
- Andrea Frederick, nursing
- Rosina Hassoun, sociology
- Julie Lynch, psychology
- Jennifer McCullough, communication
- Rhett Mohler, geography
- Travis Pashak, psychology
- Khandaker Abir Rahman, computer science
- Peter Rose-Barry, philosophy
In other action, the Board:
- Passed a resolution of appreciation for Jenee Velasquez, who completed her 8-year term on the Board in August.
- Passed a resolution of appreciation for Scott Carmona, who completed his 8-year term on the Board in August.
- Passed a resolution to grant undergraduate and graduate degrees.
- Approved confirmation of board members for previously authorized public school academies.
- Authorized the establishment of a new public school academy, iLead Academy, to be located in Canton, Michigan.
- Approved a revised Code of Student Conduct for 2019-20.
- Approved a revised Academic Integrity Policy for 2019-20.
- Approved a revised Alcohol and Other Drugs Policy for 2019-20.
- Approved 1.75 percent raises for the 2020 calendar year for executive staff. President Bachand’s salary was set at 298,500; Deb Huntley, Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, will receive a salary of $238,700; and James G. Muladore, Executive Vice President for Administration and Business Affairs, will be paid $227,000.