Faculty and Staff Email Management and Retention Policy
All employee email will be retained in Vmail for 7.5 years.
NOTE: All meetings, appointments, tasks, documents, and documents in briefcases and reminders are handled exactly like email. All references to archiving email hereafter, include email, meetings, appointments, and reminders.
- All date references are based on the date the email was created.
- Vmail will retain up to 7.5 years of e-mail. As of December 31st, 2011, this would include 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, and 2004.
- Managers may request, with Records Officer approval, an archive search for former employees. The SVSU Records Officer is the Vice President of Administration and Business Affairs.
- The Records Officer may request an archive search via Network Services to meet Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests.
- The email over 7.5 years will be segmented for deletion.
- Prior to deletion, users will be notified and will have an opportunity to make a private copy of the email.
SVSU must meet both functional (user-oriented) and FOIA requirements when retaining faculty and staff email. Pending a formal records retention policy, encompassing hard copy and digital records, the above interim email archiving policy has been adopted. The mechanics described will remain the same once an official policy is adopted; only the number of years involved may change.