YOU CAN GET AN MS-CSIS
✓ Lowest tuition in Michigan
✓ Fast-Track Program
✓ Flexible program designed around you
Master of Science in Computer Science & Information Systems (MS-CSIS) Degree Courses and Curriculum
» View the complete list of courses and descriptions
MS-CSIS Program Requirements
The MS-CSIS program requires all graduate students have a final 3.00 GPA to graduate. Courses with a grade below a “C” will not count toward graduation. Students may be dismissed from the program if their cumulative GPA falls below 3.00 after 12 credits have been earned at SVSU. The student may appeal the dismissal to the program coordinator. The program coordinator may grant the student a probationary period.
Core Courses (12 cr)
All MS-CSIS students must complete four of the following courses. If all courses in this category are taken, the fifth would be considered an elective.
- CSIS 501 - Computer Network and Security 3 cr
- CSIS 503 - Mobile Computing 3 cr
- CSIS 521 - Software Engineering 3 cr
- CSIS 566 - Information Technology Strategy 3 cr
- CSIS 586 - Cloud and Big Data Analytics 3 cr
Electives (12 cr)
Computer Science Concentration
- MATH161 - Calculus I or higher and CS316 - Data Structures and Algorithm Analysis or equivalent (Undergraduate Prerequisites)
- CSIS 531 - Computer Architecture 3 cr
- CSIS 576 - Computer Graphics 3 cr
- CSIS 582 - Artificial Intelligence and Expert Systems 3 cr
- CSIS 621 - Software Architecture & Design Patterns 3 cr
- CSIS 662 - Compiler Design and Implementation 3 cr
Information Systems Concentration
- CSIS 633 - Information Security and Privacy 3 cr
- HS 550 - Medical Informatics for Health Management 3 cr
- CMA 550 - Experience Design 3 cr
Students from one concentration may be allowed to take course(s) from another concentration upon advisor’s approval and satisfaction of course prerequisite(s).
A maximum of seven (7) credits of the following may count toward electives:
- ACCT 611 - Financial Accounting Concepts 2 cr
- ACCT 612 - Managerial Accounting 2 cr
- LS 615 - Ethics in the Professions 3 cr
- CSIS 696 - Internship 1-3 cr
- CSIS 697 - Special Topics 1-3 cr
- RPW 520 - Writing in Scientific & Tech Contexts 3 cr
- ETD 515 - Technology Leadership and Management 3 cr
Thesis Track (6 cr)
A total of 6 credit hours of research or project works under an assigned supervisor is required, culminating in a written thesis approved by the faculty supervisor.
Course-Only Track (6 cr)
Students choosing not to pursue a thesis are considered course-only track students. Students in this track are required to take a minimum of 6 hours of additional elective courses and must meet with the program coordinator to discuss which elective courses fulfill this requirement.