APPLY Now! to Athletic Training
A committee, based upon current selection criteria, will select students to be admitted to the Athletic Training Education Program. Students should apply to the Athletic Training Education Program after completing the prerequisite application requirements. You can download all application forms at the bottom of this page. The admission process takes place twice a year and actual admission occurs at the beginning of fall or winter semesters.
Selection Criteria for the Athletic Training Education Program
The entering class is admitted to the Athletic Training Education Program in the fall semester. Admission to SVSU is required for but does not guarantee, acceptance into the Athletic Training Education Program. The program is planned to accommodate a limited number of students each year and this number may vary depending on available resources. Simply meeting the minimal entrance criteria DOES NOT guarantee admission to the athletic training education program. Prospective students must submit an application for admission to the athletic training education program by April 15th preceding fall admission. If April 15th falls on a weekend, application material will be due the following Monday. Requirements include:
- Completed a minimum of 12 college-level semester hours and are currently enrolled in a minimum of 12 college-level semester hours.
- Achieved a minimum cumulative 2.75 GPA for all completed course work (based on all college-level work computed at SVSU and all other universities and colleges)
- Completed (or are in the process of completing) the following courses with a GPA of 3.00 or better in each:
- KINE 120 First Aid and CPR for the Professional Rescuer.
- KINE 232 Athletic Injury Management.
- KINE 232L Athletic Injury Management Laboratory.
- KINE 252 Introduction to Athletic Training & Exercise Science.
- The following valid certifications (or their equivalents):
- American Heart Association Heartsaver First Aid or American Red Cross First Aid, Responding to Emergencies or Emergency Responder.
- American Heart Association BLS for the Healthcare Provider or American Red Cross CPR for the Professional Rescuer.
- American Heart Association or American Red Cross First Aid Bloodborne Pathogens.
- Submit the following forms and documents:
- Completed Athletic Training Education Program application form.
- Copy of transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended.
- Two (2) completed confidential letter of recommendation forms. Only the approved confidential letter of recommendation form will be accepted.
- Completed physical examination and verification of immunizations by an MD/DO/NP/PA.
- Copy of immunization record.
- Completed Hepatitis B vaccination or waiver of vaccination.
- Completed Technical Standards form.
- Completed Confidentiality Agreement form.
- Completed Athletic Training Student contract.
- Complete an interview with a member of the athletic training faculty.
The athletic training education program director and Kinesiology faculty and staff as necessary will review prospective student applications. Applications will be ranked using predefined selection criteria.
Please complete all application forms and submit them by the submission date listed above.
Other Application Materials to be submitted
Please submit the following materials along with the completed forms from above:
• Copy of current CPR/AED Certification Card
• Copy of current Immunization Record
Athletic Training Student Handbook 2011-2012 (559KB)