Skip to main content Skip to footer
Link to feedback form Link to feedback form

Writing Center Strategic Plan

Mission Statement
The Writing Center serves Saginaw Valley State University by raising the level of excellence in student writing, at all levels and in all disciplines. To achieve this goal, the Writing Center provides one-on-one tutorial sessions, workshops, and various resources for students to develop their skills as writers and critical thinkers within the academic community and the community at large.

Strategic Priorities
We will be known for:

  • Our collaboration (620KB) with other campus departments and programs to support student writing.

We value:

  • Writing as a powerful form of communication, used to understand ourselves and the world around us.
  • Writing, a skill that everyone can learn, as a process requiring practice and commitment.
  • Each writer and the intrinsic worth of each writer’s ideas.
  • Conversations between writers and peer tutors focused on improving the writer, not simply the writing.
  • A welcoming and inclusive environment for all writers.
  • Learning from and contributing to our campus community and our community at large.

Our Writing Center will be a dynamic place of growth for all writers. To achieve this, we will develop innovative programs to serve all students, engage in our campus and community, and support a dedicated tutoring staff that is trained in and contributes to best practices in writing center research.

Highlights from our 2017-18 Annual Report:

  • 2,822 individual tutorial sessions were conducted at the Writing Center in the fall and winter semesters
  • 43% of the students who used the Writing Center were freshmen; the other 57% were upperclassmen and graduate students
  • 53% of the students who use the Writing Center have a G.P.A. between 3.3 and 4.0
  • 98% of students ranked our services as "excellent" or "good"
  • 87% of students felt "very confident" or "confident" about their ability to complete their writing assignment after their tutorial session

Contact Us
(989) 964-6061(989) 964-6061

Helen Raica-Klotz, Director

(989) 964-6062

Chris Giroux, Assistant Director

(989) 964-7228


Zahnow 250 (second floor library)


Winter 2019
Monday - Thursday: 11 am - 7 pm

Online Writing Center
Monday: 2 - 3 pm
Tuesday: 2 - 3 pm
Wednesday: 5 - 6 pm
Thursday: 5 - 6 pm