Get Legal Status
- Apply to a school, approved by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program SEVP.
- Get accepted to SVSU, an SEVP approved university.
- Get a form issued by SVSU known as I-20 (240kB) or DS-2019.
- Pay $200 SEVIS Fees. SEVIS I-901 fee is required of each student or exchange visitor.
- Apply for Visa.
Maintain Legal Status
1) Have a valid passport
- A valid passport, Visa, and I-20 are required for entry and reentry to the U.S.
- Staple your I-94 to your passport
2) Attend a SEVIS authorized school
3) Arrive at SVSU for the start of classes and SEVIS registration
4) Carry a full course of study
- 12 credits for undergraduates
- 9 credits for graduates
- Any credits below this require approval from the Office of International Programs
- Attend class
- Participate in class
- Finish homework and study for tests
- Remain in and pass each class
5) Obey state & federal laws
6) Adhere to regulations of employment
- Part-time on campus, maximum 20 hours per week while classes are in session
- Circular Practical Training (CPT), as part of an established curriculum and is directly related to your major; internships and CO-OP Programs are CPT
- Optional Practical Training (OPT) for 12 months after graduation
- OPT extension, of 17 months with a new application, for those in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math fields
7) Keep your I-20 or DS-2019 up-to-date
- Verify your address is accurate each semester in Cardinal Direct. Update to current address, if necessary, in Cardinal Direct or with the Registrar's Office within 10 days of moving.
- If you plan to leave the US, including to Canada or Mexico, obtain an appropriate signature on your I-20 or a "letter of good standing" from the Office of International Programs.
- Keep your major current, as it is on your I-20. If you change majors, be sure to complete at "Degree Program Change" form found in OIP. They will update it with SEVIS.
- Keep your graduation date current, as it is on your I-20. If you change projected graduation date, be sure to complete at "Degree Program Change" form found in OIP. They will update it with SEVIS.