New Student Veterans

New Student Veterans

What are some of the benefits SVSU provides for student veterans?

The Military Student Affairs Office is your Resource Center at SVSU. We are located in Curtiss Hall, Suite 113, down the hall from the Housing Office. Make us your first stop on campus.


If you have questions that can’t wait, contact us at or call (989) 964-2462.

Applying to SVSU

You can apply to SVSU in three ways:

Before you arrive, you'll want to complete your application. Make sure you mark your service connection on your admission application in order to get the application fee waived. If you paid the fee, email and include your full name and address to receive a refund.

You will need to get official copies of transcripts sent to SVSU from all colleges or universities where you have taken courses. SVSU will also need either your ACT or SAT score, which you can order online and have sent to the Admissions Office. If you haven’t taken the ACT or SAT, you have two other options: consideration of ASVAB scores and special admission through Placement Testing. Contact the Military Student Affairs (MSA) Office or the Military Admissions Counselor at 989-964-4480 to explore either option.

Applying to for Veterans Affairs (VA) Educational Benefits

The other application you’ll need to complete is with the VA, who will verify and approve your GI Bill benefits eligibility. If you are not sure which benefits you qualify for or if you should use Post 9-11 GI Bill vs. Montgomery GI Bill, visit or read our DoD/Veterans Benefits page. If you have a VA-compensated disability rating, you may also be elgible under the VA’s Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program. Once you are ready, fill out the Veterans Online Application (VONAPP). If you prefer, you can fill out and mail a paper application.

Paper applications can be mailed to:

VA Regional Office

P.O. Box 66830

St. Louis, MO



Toll-Free (888) 442-4451

During completion of the VONAPP, you will be asked to upload a copy of your discharge certificate (DD-214). If you can’t find your DD214, go to eVetRecs to request a copy from the archives. If you need help, call the VA Regional Office on their toll-free number.

Applying for Financial Aid

Many of our student veterans also apply for Federal Financial Aid. Applications must be completed each year as aid is awarded on an annual basis. To complete the application, go to SVSU’s school code is 002314. If you have questions about the types of aid available and your eligibility, please contact our Financial Aid and Scholarships Office at (989) 964-4273 or visit the Campus Financial Services Center.

Getting Credit for Prior Learning and Military Experience

You will also want to explore academic credit for military service. Each service produces a transcript listing academic equivalency for military training and experience based on guidelines established by the American Council on Education (ACE). This has links to all the services’ transcript request sites.

You will want to have an official copy emailed to SVSU and download one for yourself. MSA can help you determine which military credits might apply towards your degree plan. You can petition for credits to be applied toward general education or major/minor degree requirements, but the majority of credits are likely to count as general electives. A lot will depend on your military background and your chosen major. SVSU is committed to giving your military service a fair evaluation and awarding you as many credits as possible for your educational interests.  SVSU also accepts credit by exam from CLEP, which is a great way to earn academic credit for what you already know. To find out more about which exams SVSU accepts call the MSA Office.

For Post 9-11 eligible veterans, CLEP exams can be charged to your student account and paid through the VA.   

Arriving at SVSU

The more you get done before you arrive, the easier it will be when you get to campus.  We’ll work with you in advance to make sure you are ready to go on the first day of class. When you do arrive on campus, your first stop should be Military Student Affairs Office (Curtiss 113) to complete your request for certification and to give us your VA certificate of eligibility, if you haven't sent it to us already.

After you register for classes for each term, we’ll process your benefit claim. Remember these 5 things:

  1. It may take 6-8 weeks before you receive your first benefit check for the first time, so plan ahead.
  2. All coursework must count toward degree completion.
  3. If you change your major you must complete a new Veterans Education Plan (VA Form 22-1995) before the semester starts.
  4. If you add, drop, or change a class you must inform the VA School Certifying Official so your certification can be properly updated.
  5. You must maintain satisfactory academic progress (2.00 GPA for undergraduate and 3.00 GPA for graduate programs) toward degree completion or your VA benefit payments WILL be interrupted!

Getting Support

Once you’ve completed orientation, we’ll link you up with a member of the SVSU Cardinal Military Association (CMA). The CMA is your student organization dedicated to helping you make a successful transition from the armed forces to the college classroom. Along with the MSA, the CMA manages our “Battle Buddies” and Vet2Vet programs and will help you find a peer mentor if one is desired.