The Saginaw Valley State University Board of Control approved tenure for 17 members of the SVSU faculty during the Board’s regular meeting Monday, Feb. 15.
Those approved for tenure include:
• Emily Beard, English
• James Bowers, criminal justice
• Colleen D’Arcy, teacher education
• Sherrin Frances, English
• Melissa Garmo, crimincal justice
• Dennis Gray, biology
• Ellen Herlache-Pretzer, occupational therapy
• Kimberly Lacey, English
• Thomas Mahank, mechanical engineering
• Andrew Miller, geography
• Rajan Murgan, physics
• Emmanuel Ncheuguim, mathematical sciences
• Jean Prast, occupational therapy
• Sheruni Ratnabalasuriar, criminal justice
• Jennifer Stinson, history
• Rebecca Toth, nursing
• Charles Weaver, health sciences
The Board also authorized the issuing of general revenue bonds to advance or refund existing bonds. Given the current market conditions that include unusually low interest rates in the bond market, SVSU may see total savings of $6 million to $8 million by restructuring $60 million to $70 million in existing debt. The resolution also authorizes borrowing up to $10 million for the Zahnow Library renovation project that was previously approved.
In other action, the Board:
• Passed a resolution to appoint a nominating committee for May Board elections.
• Passed a resolution appointing Ryan Carley, Dirk DeBoer, Heather Gallegos, Leslie Perry, Maliha Shaikh and Kathy Stewart to the SVSU Board of Fellows, a community advisory board.
• Passed a resolution to approve the development and implementation of a new marketing campaign in collaboration with The Image Group, a communication and marketing firm based in Holland, Michigan, at a cost not to exceed $600,000 through June 2017.