If you are interested in applying for the scholarships listed below (with the exception of the marching band and pep band scholarship) please visit the following link to apply for scholarship consideration: http://svsu.edu/apply/scholarships/.
- Then click on “Apply,” and fill out the General Application.
- When it asks “What is your major?” pick either "ABS-Music" or "COE-Music Education" as appropriate.
- If you pick "ABS-Music" and you know what minor you want to choose, pick it. If not, pick “Undecided.”
- If you pick "COE-Music Education" as your major, then pick “I don’t have a minor” for the minor as that degree does not require a minor.
- When you have completed the General Application, click “Finish and Continue.”
- On the next page scroll down to “Recommended Opportunities.” Click on that, and it will take you to the other required information to apply for the various music scholarships, in particular for incoming freshmen, the Rhea Miller Scholarships. Please note that the deadline for all music scholarships except the Rhea Miller is March 27th. The Rhea Miller deadline is later in the summer, in case we have late applicants to the program. Incoming freshman should apply for the Rhea Miller Scholarship.
- The Distinctive Program in Music Scholarships are awarded to students who, due to their exceptional music performing ability and outstanding course work in music or music education, will bring distinction to the department. Students selected to receive this award will also become part of the Music Ambassadors to the Schools program. This scholarship is awarded for one academic year, and is renewable based on the recommendation of the faculty.
- The Rhea Miller Scholarships in Music are awarded based on an audition, interview, and musicianship tests. The scholarship ranges from $2,000 to $4,000 and is awarded for one academic year and may be renewed upon recommendation of the faculty.
- The Patsy Hill Schwartz Scholarship is given to a student who has shown leadership in the Department of Music or has demonstrated high academic achievement in music.
- The Barbara Mitchell Endowed Scholarship in Vocal Music is open to music and music education students. Students must have a GPA of 2.5.
- The Marching Band and Pep Band Scholarships are available to all SVSU students and have an approximate value of approximately $350. A limited number of Pep Band Scholarships are available and have a value of $200.
- The James and Rosemary Hill Scholarship is open to music and music education students. The scholarship amount is $500 and is awarded for one academic year. The student must have an overall GPA of 2.75 and 3.0 GPA in music courses. This scholarship is based on financial need.
Appointments can be made by either calling or emailing our office: