FAFSA Information

Federal School Code : 002314


 Federal Student Aid Video: How to Fill Out the FAFSA

Who can apply for Federal financial aid or need-based aid?

  • First-time in college students can apply while they are still in high school, typically in January of their senior year. A high diploma, GED, or the equivalent are required to become fully eligible. SVSU will make awards before the graduation date for students still attending high school, under the condition that a copy of the diploma is required after it is received.
  • RTEmagicC_402c72e9b0 Student must be accepted for admission as a degree-seeking student or teacher certification student. That means a degree or certificate must be the goal of the program. This includes a bachelor's degree, master's degree, specialist's degree (College of Education program), doctorate degree (College of Health & Human Services program) or teacher certificate.
  • Guest students are not eligible.
  • To receive a Federal Stafford Loan you must be enrolled at least half-time (6 credits for undergraduate students and 5 credits for graduate students)


2014-2015 FAFSA (Fall 2014-Spring/Summer 2015)

  • Submit the 2014-2015 FAFSA online, at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/, beginning January 1, 2014.  This is to apply for aid for the Fall 2014, Winter 2015, and Spring/Summer 2015 semesters.  Apply early!  The State of Michigan deadline is March 1, 2014.  SVSU has no deadline, but encourages early application to ensure your aid is in place in time for any payment due date!
    Attend College Goal Sunday to receive free help completing the FAFSA from financial aid professionals in the area! The event date is Sunday, February 9, 2014! The Saginaw-Bay City-Midland location is Delta College, from 2:00-4:00pm. For more information, go to http://micollegegoal.org/.


Why complete the FAFSA form online?

  • We encourage students to submit the FAFSA Form on-line to ensure accuracy and speed of processing. When submitting the FAFSA Form on-line, be sure to request a PIN. Both the student and parent completing the FAFSA form should go to www.pin.ed.gov and request a Personal Identification Number. The PIN will allow you (and your parent) to electronically sign the FAFSA form.
  • Once the Office of scholarships and Financial Aid is notified by the U.S. Department of Education of your completed application, processing of your financial and award eligibility will begin.
  • If any information is required to process your financial aid award eligibility, you will be advised by the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid of the information you will be required to provide.
  • Remember to respond to any inquiry or request promptly so your financial aid processing can proceed.
  • The PIN number is good until you change it. Each year you can complete the FAFSA with the same PIN. The PIN is also used to look up your Direct Loan history, to complete loan counseling, and to electronically sign your Master Direct Loan Promissory Note. Go to www.direct.ed.gov for more information.


Don't want to complete the FAFSA form online?