Roosevelt Ruffin Diversity Award
The Roosevelt Ruffin Diversity Award is named for the late Dr. Ruffin, who served as SVSU’s Director of Multicultural Programs and Affirmative Action. This award was created in 2005 to recognize SVSU individuals or groups who have demonstrated diversity leadership and creativity.
SVSU alumni, students, faculty and staff may nominate candidates. The selected recipient will receive a financial award presented at the annual SVSU All-University Awards Banquet in April.
- SVSU academic or academic support units, campus organization, students, faculty, or staff.
- Must have implemented policies, procedures, and/or programs at SVSU to enhance diversity.
- Enhanced diversity based on color, race, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, sex, age, disability, veteran or military service status, gender identity, economic status, political belief and/or marital status.
Criteria for Nomination
Submit a letter of nomination that addresses how the nominee(s) demonstrated a commitment to enhance diversity at SVSU by describing at least three
of the following:
- Accomplishments, leadership, and service in support of diversity enhancement
- Achievement in creating a supportive environment
- Success in recruiting and retaining individuals who represent diverse groups among faculty, staff, and administrative positions
- Success in recruiting, retaining, and graduating individuals who represent diverse groups among students
- Efforts to change the University’s culture to be more accepting and understanding of diverse cultures
- Methods used to educate University leadership in areas of diversity
- Development and implementation of community outreach projects related to diversity
A complete nomination packet must include the following:
- A nomination statement that addresses at least three of the criteria; not to exceed three (3) pages.
- Completed Nomination Form (either Individual Nomination Form or Group Nomination Form).
- Three (3) letters of support not to exceed more than one (1) page each.
- At least one (1) letter of support must be from someone currently employed at SVSU, e.g., administrator, faculty, or staff member.
- Current vita or resume of those nominated for the "Individual" category.
- For "Team/Group" nomination, include a list of all team members and position.
The Roosevelt Ruffin Diversity Award Committee will select one award to be given to an individual or team/group. The committee is chaired by Dr. Mamie T. Thorns, Special Assistant to the President for Diversity Programs.
For additional information, please contact the Office of Diversity at (989) 964-4068 or e-mail us at email@example.com.
2018 Monica Reyes
2017 Theatre Department
2016 Vanessa Brooks-Herd
2015 David Hall
2014 Dr. Dawn Hinton
2013 Joe Madison
2012 Dr. Donald Bachand
2011 Dr. Joseph Ofori-Dankwa
2010 Dr. Ava Lewis
2009 Sahar Al-Masri
2009 Dr. Marwan Wafa
2009 Sharon Robinson
2008 Dr. Drew Hinderer
2007 Dr. Kenneth Jolly
2006 Dr. Robert & Amy Yien
2005 SVSU Student Association