For Students Currently Registered with Disability Services
WELCOME BACK TO SVSU!
The staff of SVSU-DS are dedicated to opening doors of equal opportnity to individuals with disabilities at SVSU.
Whether you are currently enrolled or are considering re-enrollment, Disability Services (DS) welcomes you. This office is responsible for providing services and determining reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities based on supporting documentation.
Explore this site for answers to many of your questions, including access to your current account with Disability Services. If you are having trouble accessing your account, call us at 989-964-7000 for assistance or stop by our office at Wickes Hall, Suite 260.
AS A REMINDER:
- Students should be aware that accommodations and services may be offered to alter the way in which material is presented, but in no way, modifies course content or program requirements as established by Saginaw Valley State University.
- You should understand that you will not be eligible to receive services until you provide current documentation of your disability that has been issued within the last 0 - 3 years. Accommodations requested after the start of the term will be implemented 7-14 days after notification of the disability and agreement to accommodations. These services will not override grades, activities, tests, quizzes or other student responsibilities prior to the date of request.
- Certification of a disability - documentation may be requested annually, to provide updates on the disability or diagnosis changes.
- Classroom accommodations are based on the documentation you provide. If you find that you need additional help, you will notify the Director of Disability Services. It is my responsibility to keep SVSU Disability Services informed of my progress and to notify the coordinator of any schedule changes during the term.
- Students should understand that it is their responsibility to consult with their instructor at the beginning of the term to ensure that he/she understands their needs and that he/she has received a current Faculty Notification Letter that YOU are responsible for downloading from the AIM system after approval of your accommodation(s).
- It is your responsibility to schedule an appointment to meet with Monica Reyes, Director of Disability Services or a representative, each term as needed, for renewal of your approval or as requested to request services and discuss accommodation needs such as special equipment or books.
- SVSU email account is the only email account SVSU Disability Services will use to communicate with you.
- Is your responsibility to remain updated on the policies and procedures of Saginaw Valley State University and the Disability Services Office. This includes proper withdrawal from courses, the advisement and registration process, financial aid eligibility, student code of conduct, and so on.
- Keep all support organizations to include Vocational Rehabilitation, the Veterans Administration, etc., up to date on my progress. It is not the responsibility of the University to send financial aid verification, grades, progress reports or class schedules.
- If you choose not to implement accommodations, such as testing in a quiet environment or ensuring that you are receiving extra time or a reader, that you cannot request these accommodations after the fact. You must request a reader or quiet environment seven days in advance via the online request form and that you notify your instructor(s) that they must acknowledges this.
Additionally, students with disabilities have the responsibility to:
- Meet the qualifications and essential technical, academic, and institutional standards of Saginaw Valley State University. Accommodations that compromise the academic integrity of a course are not allowed;
- Identify themselves in a timely manner as an individual with a disability when seeking an accommodation;
- Provide SVSU Disability Services official, current documentation from an appropriate source that verifies the nature of the disability, functional limitations, and the need for specific accommodations prior to the beginning of initial enrollment or term;
- Follow the procedures for obtaining reasonable and appropriate accommodations, academic adjustments, and/or auxiliary aids;
- Use accommodations appropriately;
- Follow the Student Code of Conduct set forth by Saginaw Valley State University.
Students with Disabilities have the right to:
- Equal access to courses, programs, services, jobs, activities, and facilities available through Saginaw Valley State University;
- Reasonable, appropriate, and effective accommodations, academic adjustments, and/or auxiliary aids determined on an individual basis;
- Appropriate confidentiality of all information pertaining to his/her disability with the choice of whom to disclose their disability to except as by law and administration need to know;
- University information available in accessible formats.