Secondary TE Program Requirements
The following requirements must be successfully completed prior to submitting an application to the Secondary Teacher Education Program:
- Attendance at a Pre-Education Seminar.
- All university Basic Skills requirements in mathematics, reading, and writing (Requirement for undergraduate applicants only).
- A minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.00 based on the last 60 credit hours of university-level (credit earning) coursework. Letter grades associated with entry-level coursework will not be considered.
- Passing scores on the Michigan Test for Teacher Certification (MTTC) Professional Readiness Exam (formerly titled MTTC Basic Skills) with sub-areas in Reading, Mathematics, and Writing or Michigan Department of Education approved alternative pass measures. MTTC scores must be submitted to SVSU electronically; select institution code #24 when registering to take the test to ensure that SVSU receives the scores. Consult the MTTC website for details: http://www.mttc.nesinc.com
- A minimum of 72 credit hours completed with a grade of "C" or better; the 72 credit hours must be applicable to the applicant's College of Education certification program.
- PSYC 100, General Psychology, or an approved equivalent, with a grade of "C" or better.
- TE 100, Exploring Teaching K-12 or TE 101, Exploring Teaching in Physical Education, or an approved equivalent with a grade of "C" or better.
The following may be in progress during the semester an application to the Secondary Teacher Education Program is submitted, but must be successfully completed by the end of the Winter Semester for Fall admission consideration, or by the end of Fall Semester for Winter admission consideration:
- PSYC 315, Adolescent Psychology, or an approved equivalent with a grade of "C" or better (Note: K-12 Music Education candidates are not required to take PSYC 315).
- PSYC 317, Educational Psychology, or an approved equivalent with a grade or "C" or better.