Elementary TE Program Requirements
The following requirements must be successfully completed prior to submitting an application to the Elementary Teacher Education Program:
- All university Basic Skills requirements in mathematics, reading, and writing (Requirement for undergraduate applicants only).
- A minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.75 based on the last 60 credit hours of university-level (credit earning) coursework. Letter grades associated with entry-level coursework will not be considered. In addition, applicants must also have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.75 in their content (teaching) major and in their content (teaching) minor courses completed at the time of application.
- Passing scores on the Michigan Test for Teacher Certification (MTTC) Professional Readiness Exam (formerly titled MTTC Basic Skills) with sub-areas in Reading, Mathematics, and Writing. Scores must be submitted to SVSU electronically; select institution code #24 when registering to take the test to ensure that SVSU receives the scores. Consult the MTTC website for details: http://www.mttc.nesinc.com
- A minimum of 72 credit hours completed with a grade of "C" or better; the 72 credit hours must be applicable to the applicant's College of Education certification program.
- PSYC 100, General Psychology, or an approved equivalent, with a grade of "C" or better.
- TE 100, Exploring Teaching K-12 or TE 101, Exploring Teaching in Physical Education, or an approved equivalent with a grade of "C" or better.
The following may be in progress during the semester an application to the Elementary Teacher Education Program is submitted, but must be successfully completed by the end of the Winter Semester for Fall admission consideration, or by the end of Fall Semester for Winter admission consideration:
- PSYC 310, Child Psychology, or an approved equivalent
- TE 300, Foundations in Elementary Education, with a grade of "C" or better.
Additional Requirements for Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Education applicants only:
- A Passing score on the Michigan Test for Teacher Certification (MTTC) content (teaching) major and the content (teaching) minor declared subject areas must be complete at the time of application. Scores must be submitted to SVSU electronically. Consult the MTTC website for details: http://www.mttc.nesinc.com.