Cardinal Business Edge is a competitive, three semester leadership development program for selected freshmen pursuing a degree program in the SVSU AASCB-accredited College of Business & Management. As a CBE student, you will have an opportunity to build personal and professional networks in the Great Lakes Bay Region, and develop leadership skills that give you a competitive edge in your college years, as well as in your future career. This unique opportunity allows you to strengthen your team-building skills while also identifying your individual strengths. Our goal is to help you develop critical life skills that reach far beyond the classroom, alongside remarkable business and academic leader who will serve as your mentors.
Expected Learner Outcomes - Students who successfully complete the Cardinal Business Edge leadership development program can:
The CBE program has three central elements:
- Contribute effectively to the accomplishment of team goals, and
- Demonstrate self-awareness in relation to their leadership skills and their emerging personal philosophy of leadership.
- Foundational academic content - Students gain an understanding of business leadership and receive an opportunity to develop their leadership skills by engaging in experiences associated with business systems in functional and interdisciplinary settings.
- High levels of mentoring - Students receive high levels of academic and career mentoring including interaction with faculty, administrators, business executives and community leaders.
- Related co-curricular activities - Students participate in discussion sessions, interviews and shadowing experiences with community and business leaders, and entrepreneurs. This will include selected off-site visits to regional businesses and a capstone field trip to a major US city.
Students accepted into the CBE leadership development program are required to successfully complete all three elements of the program to earn the CBE certificate.
With the CBE program, you will:
- Be a member of a limited community of up to 25 exceptional students who will spend freshman and sophmore years working together, as a team, in exciting in- and out-of-class settings and experiences (residential students may be housed together to further the camaraderie opportunities).
- Be in selective classes with other Business Edge students that include a 1-credit lab that involves corporate outings to meet business executives.
- Be mentored by a team of academic and business leaders, all with global experience and credentials.
- Be coach to define your team-building and leadership style, while highlighting your unique strengths to help you manage people and complex projects.
- Be given the tools to develop life skills that reach far beyond the classroom or your degree program.
- Receive a generous travel stipend for a faculty-led travel experience that includes visits to businesses, meetings with global leaders, and participation in social and cultural experiences.