Young Professional Networks
A Young Professional Network(YPN) is a valuable resource for those who want to build relationships with peers, advance their careers, and make a difference in their industry, community, and local association. A YPN gives young professionals the chance to build their social capital, discover new job opportunities, all while building a better resume.
Here are five reasons why joining a YPN will give young professionals an edge in their careers.
- Enhance your Network: A YPN is the chance to build connections beyond LinkedIn. The people you meet can become mentors, inform you of new job opportunities, become valuable references, or be your support system.
- Build your Resume: A professional association can be an impressive addition to your resume. It shows an interest in volunteerism and a willingness to take on leadership roles in your community. Listing your association memberships on your resume shows current and future employers that you are dedicated to staying connected in your profession.
- Be a Leader: Professional associations give you opportunities to develop your skills as a leader. Are you a marketing whiz? Lead your group's outreach efforts. A pro at finances? Manage the organization's budget. Plus, you can bring your new-found leadership skills into the workplace and show what you've learned to your managers.
- Gain Industry Knowledge: Joining an association can give you insight on new industry trends and give you the boost of confidence you need to approach your boss with a new idea or project. It can also help you gain useful skills that may be nontraditional to your job.
- Stay Inspired: No matter your profession, staying inspired can be difficult when you are constantly hitting roadblocks in your career. However, meeting with young professionals who have similar goals as you, gives you the opportunity to trade ideas, solve problems, and get inspiration that will only help your career. If you love what you do, you will never work a day in your life.
There are three local young professional networks in the tri-city area:
- Bay Area Young Professionals Network
- Midland Young Professionals
- Saginaw Young Professionals Network