One of the most important elements of a student’s academic career is developing an understanding of his/her degree requirements. Within our office we assist students by reviewing degree components and organizing a successful course scheduling plan. Our primary goal as academic advisors is to help each student understand the general education and course requirements of a selected curriculum and to guide students to make wise choices in meeting their degree requirements. Our services include:
- Initial academic advisement and course registration for all new undergraduate students through orientation programs (SOAR).
- Academic advising for all continuing undergraduate students including course planning prior to registration, explanation of academic policies and procedures, assistance to undecided majors in selecting a degree program consistent with their career goals, and monitoring academic progress via an online degree audit system in Cardinal Direct.
- Coordination of First-Year Programs designed to assist students in their successful transition to college (Peer Advisors, PAR, special advising and registration programs like SOAR+). Delivering other programs such as the Get2 Go2 initiatives and the University Foundation Scholars Program.
- Providing appropriate connections and guidance to those services and resources on campus that will help students to meet their academic goals.
- Coordination of the MAPS survey program, designed to assist us in reaching out to those students whose likelihood of continuing on at SVSU is at risk.